University of Miami student’s guide to understanding your auto insurance coverage

No doubt about it – automobile insurance policies are confusing. Most consumers have the misunderstanding that their insurance policy will cover them in case of a car accident; and is made all the more distressing when, occasionally, I have to be the one to inform them that they are mistaken. There are complexities to insurance coverage that, if not understood, can lead to being insufficiently protected.

The purpose of this article is to explain some of the basic terms, and several pitfalls that you need to understand when purchasing car insurance.

Your insurance coverage falls into two basic categories – (I) those that protect 3rd parties that you harm; and, (II) coverage that protect you.

Car Insurance Coverage that Protects 3rd Parties – Generally Referred To As The “Liability” Coverages.

Property Damage (“PD”) Liability: Florida law requires a minimum of $10,000.00 in PD coverage. PD covers you if your vehicle damages someone else’s property – (i.e. not your own property, not even the car involved in the actual accident).

Bodily Injury (“BI”) Liability: While Florida does not require BI coverage, to go without it is a huge mistake. BI covers other people’s injuries for which you are held responsible (i.e. their lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering). BI is there to protect your personal assets, up to the coverage amount, in the event a judgment is entered against you. In addition, the insurance company will typically provide and pay for an attorney to defend a lawsuit that is brought against you.

But it is important to remember that both BI and PD coverage do not protect you or anyone on your insurance policy if you are injured. They are strictly there to cover others if you cause an accident.

Car Insurance Coverage that Protects You

Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”) Coverage: Florida requires that every insured driver have exactly $10,000.00 in PIP coverage. Generally speaking, PIP covers 80% of medical and funeral expenses, 60% of lost wages, and any other accident-related expense of the insured, passengers in the insured’s automobile and any pedestrians struck by the insured – up to, but not to exceed that $10,000.00 threshold – regardless of who was at fault.

Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage: UM is not only our amazing school, it is also a type of insurance coverage. You may be a terrific driver, but that says nothing about everyone else on the road. Very often, especially in South Florida, the other motorist in a car accident has: (a) very limited liability coverage; (b) no liability coverage (according to the Insurance Research Council, about 1 in 6 drivers in Florida have absolutely no coverage at all); or (c) cannot be identified (read: hit and run). In any case, you want a UM policy that will cover the other accident-causing party’s insurance-coverage shortfalls. UM protects you, your passengers and other named persons on the insurance policy for injuries (up to your elected coverage amount). I highly suggest having as much UM coverage as you can afford. In fact, it is so important; your Florida auto-insurance provider is required by law to offer you UM coverage. In order to deny or waive UM, you have to actually sign a statement verifying that you are declining UM coverage on your policy. (Go UM!)

Talk to your car insurance company about adjusting your basic coverages if you now feel you are under-protected. Your insurance representative can also explain some of the other coverage types available to you.

Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert P.A. serves their injured clients statewide with offices in South and Central Florida. The firm’s attorneys specialize in personal-injury cases, including high-profile automobile negligence and defective-design cases. NK&P’s practice area include automobile and motorcycle accidents; medical malpractice; premises liability; defective products; brain injury; and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). For more information, visit their Web site at www.nkplaw.com, or call 1-800-379-TEAM (8326)

Jason Neufeld

Contributing columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “University of Miami student’s guide to understanding your auto insurance coverage”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...