Thrifty and nifty

A rack of colorful attire in the Goodwill Superstore in Tamiami. Rachel Steinhauser//The Miami Hurricane

Whether it’s the thrill of the hunt, the buzz of a bargain or the untold treasures that can be revealed, there’s nothing like a good thrift store. For every rainy Saturday when you don’t feel like fighting crowds at the mall, and for every shopping urge you might have while your credit card’s maxed out, it’s thrift stores to the rescue. Here’s a guide to a few local favorites that may smell a little funky, but are known for producing fantastic finds.

Flamingo Plaza- This Hialeah stripmall is a local legend. The plaza houses several thrift stores and discount stores including, a Red White & Blue Thrift Store, Community Thrift Store and Hialeah Thrift. Flamingo Plaza is famous for its furniture finds. Extra special clothing items take a little digging, but don’t be afraid to dive in with both hands. Flamingo has been known to turn up vintage Lacoste items, a Jordan Marsh coat with mink trim and a pair of vintage Adidas Tron sneakers circa 1982.

Goodwill Superstore- When in doubt, it never hurts to stick with a classic. Conveniently located on the corner of Bird Road and Ludlam Road, the Goodwill Superstore is just a bike ride away from UM. With clothing sections organized by color, Goodwill is the perfect place for expanding your T-shirt collection. It’s also great for used dishes and creative household décor. The superstore has been closed for remodeling this month, but its grand reopening is Thursday.

Out of the Closet- As if ridiculously low prices weren’t incentive enough, Out of the Closet gives shoppers a chance to thrift for a cause. Voted Best Place to Donate Your Clothes by the Miami New Times, Out of the Closet is owned and operated by the  AIDS Healthcare Foundation and provides free testing and treatment. The self-proclaimed “most fabulous thrift store in the world” has two locations in Miami, one on Biscayne Boulevard downtown and one on Alton Road on South Beach. Out of the Closet is the perfect place to find off-the-wall accessories.

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

If you go:

Flamingo Plaza- 901 E. 10th Ave., Hialeah

Hours vary

Goodwill Superstore- Bird Road and SW 67 Ave, Miami

Mon.- Sat. 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. Sun. 9 a.m.- 7 p.m. Donations are accepted at the back door drop-off area until 6 p.m.

Out of the Closet- 2900 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami and 1510 Alton Rd., Miami Beach

Open Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.- 7p.m. and Sun. 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Most thrift stores accept major credit cards but carrying a small amount of cash is a good rule of thumb.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Thrifty and nifty”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...