Three referenda on upcoming ballot

In two years, the student activities fee could be raised by $6.50.

In addition to voting for the new Student Government (SG) executive board and senators next week, students will also have the opportunity to vote on three referenda that may raise the student activities fee.

The three new referenda that have been placed on the ballot may provide more funding for the Committee on Student Organizations (COSO), Distraction Magazine and the Green U initiative for SG. Placement on the ballot was contingent upon each organization collecting 500 student signatures on a petition, which were later verified by SG.

Last semester, students were given the option to vote on a referendum to raise the student activity fee by $1 so the money could be used by Student Government (SG). The referendum was passed, and the student activity fee was then raised.

Each of the referenda up for vote this semester seeks a similar increase.

COSO has requested that the student activity fee be raised by $0.50 which will be used to provide resources for student organizations and to recognize their achievements. COSO is the organization responsible for hosting Canefest, the Spring Involvement Fair, Rumble on the Green, student organization workshops and a variety of other events.

Current SG President Christina Farmer said she supports the COSO referendum.

“It’s a very little [monetary]increase but it’s monumental what they’ll be able to do with the money,” current SG President Christina Farmer said. “The great thing about the COSO referendum is that all students go to events that organizations put on, and organizations need sufficient support from COSO.”

The ballot also contains a referendum for Distraction Magazine. If it passes, the student activities fee will be raised by $1. The magazine, which was started in spring 2008, is a fairly new publication for the student body that is currently being funded by the School of Communication and ad sales. Due to recent budget cuts, however, the editors believe that additional funding is needed for the magazine’s survival.

According to Heather Carney, Distraction’s editor in chief, if this referendum is passed, Distraction would be published quarterly and perhaps even three times per semester in the future. As it is, they are usually published once a semester.

“Both the newspaper and the yearbook on campus are funded through referendum money as well, it’s the next step for Distraction so  it can become more financially stable,” Carney said.

The third and final referendum that will be placed on the ballot is the Green U initiative for SG. This initiative will raise the student activities’ fee by $5.

“Green U initiatives has been one of SG’s top platforms this year and in the past so it’s important for students to decide how important these referenda are to them,” Farmer said.  “Students need to make sure to vote for presidential tickets, referenda and senators after informing themselves about the issues.”

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...