Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 2/17

Women’s Tennis

The Hurricanes have moved up to No. 9 in the latest ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings. The team is 5-0 this season, with four of their wins coming against ranked opponents.

Senior Bianca Eichkorn was also named the ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week for going undefeated this past weekend. She is now 16-4 on the season and has moved up to No.10 in the national singles rankings. They next compete in the ITA National Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va.

Swimming and diving

Records were set on Wednesday afternoon for the swimming team as the 200-yard medley relay team took third place in the first day of the ACC swimming and diving championships.

The third place finish was the first time the Canes made it to the podium in three years. They timed in at 1:38.88, four seconds faster than the previous school high set at last years ACC Championships. It also marks the second time this year the Canes 200 medley team had broken their own record. The Canes look to improve on their current fourth place standing as the tournament progresses. For up to date standings on the tournament as it progresses, log on to theacc.com.

Football

The Canes will be hosting walk-on tryouts on March 1 at 3 p.m. Anyone interested must be a UM student with a valid Cane Card, have at least two years of eligibility remaining, and have current valid health insurance. Contact Ryan McNamee at r.mcnamee@miami.edu to start the process.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...