Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 2/17

Women’s Tennis

The Hurricanes have moved up to No. 9 in the latest ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings. The team is 5-0 this season, with four of their wins coming against ranked opponents.

Senior Bianca Eichkorn was also named the ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week for going undefeated this past weekend. She is now 16-4 on the season and has moved up to No.10 in the national singles rankings. They next compete in the ITA National Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va.

Swimming and diving

Records were set on Wednesday afternoon for the swimming team as the 200-yard medley relay team took third place in the first day of the ACC swimming and diving championships.

The third place finish was the first time the Canes made it to the podium in three years. They timed in at 1:38.88, four seconds faster than the previous school high set at last years ACC Championships. It also marks the second time this year the Canes 200 medley team had broken their own record. The Canes look to improve on their current fourth place standing as the tournament progresses. For up to date standings on the tournament as it progresses, log on to theacc.com.

Football

The Canes will be hosting walk-on tryouts on March 1 at 3 p.m. Anyone interested must be a UM student with a valid Cane Card, have at least two years of eligibility remaining, and have current valid health insurance. Contact Ryan McNamee at r.mcnamee@miami.edu to start the process.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...