Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 2/17

Women’s Tennis

The Hurricanes have moved up to No. 9 in the latest ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings. The team is 5-0 this season, with four of their wins coming against ranked opponents.

Senior Bianca Eichkorn was also named the ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week for going undefeated this past weekend. She is now 16-4 on the season and has moved up to No.10 in the national singles rankings. They next compete in the ITA National Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va.

Swimming and diving

Records were set on Wednesday afternoon for the swimming team as the 200-yard medley relay team took third place in the first day of the ACC swimming and diving championships.

The third place finish was the first time the Canes made it to the podium in three years. They timed in at 1:38.88, four seconds faster than the previous school high set at last years ACC Championships. It also marks the second time this year the Canes 200 medley team had broken their own record. The Canes look to improve on their current fourth place standing as the tournament progresses. For up to date standings on the tournament as it progresses, log on to theacc.com.

Football

The Canes will be hosting walk-on tryouts on March 1 at 3 p.m. Anyone interested must be a UM student with a valid Cane Card, have at least two years of eligibility remaining, and have current valid health insurance. Contact Ryan McNamee at r.mcnamee@miami.edu to start the process.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports briefs 2/17”

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...