Field Experience Program

A new program in the School of Communication allows students to immerse themselves in the fast-paced world of sports journalism without going through a formal internship process.

The Field Experience Program (FEP) is a volunteer opportunity to work inside media centers and press boxes of professional organizations like the Florida Panthers, Homestead-Miami Speedway and Miami Dolphins.

When these organizations need part-time help with writing press releases or assisting at press conferences and celebrity signings, the FEP comes to the rescue. Events range from one day to two weeks, rather than months-long typical internships.

“These organizations have the structure, but no content in the middle; we can be that content in the middle,” said SoC public relations professor Maria Scott, who set up the program.

Scott wanted to create an opportunity for students to get hands-on experiences in media services without extensive training.

Student volunteers can choose which events to participate in and the program is open to all Communication majors. Currently there are 45 applicants interested in the program and the numbers are rising.

“We wanted to have a program where you have that time, that moment,” said Kaleena Salguiero, the SoC’s career services coordinator, who has worked with Scott in developing the program.

For more information on volunteering, contact Maria Scott at m.scott@miami.edu or Kaleena Salguiero at k.salguiero@miami.edu.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Valenzuela

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Field Experience Program”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...