Field Experience Program

A new program in the School of Communication allows students to immerse themselves in the fast-paced world of sports journalism without going through a formal internship process.

The Field Experience Program (FEP) is a volunteer opportunity to work inside media centers and press boxes of professional organizations like the Florida Panthers, Homestead-Miami Speedway and Miami Dolphins.

When these organizations need part-time help with writing press releases or assisting at press conferences and celebrity signings, the FEP comes to the rescue. Events range from one day to two weeks, rather than months-long typical internships.

“These organizations have the structure, but no content in the middle; we can be that content in the middle,” said SoC public relations professor Maria Scott, who set up the program.

Scott wanted to create an opportunity for students to get hands-on experiences in media services without extensive training.

Student volunteers can choose which events to participate in and the program is open to all Communication majors. Currently there are 45 applicants interested in the program and the numbers are rising.

“We wanted to have a program where you have that time, that moment,” said Kaleena Salguiero, the SoC’s career services coordinator, who has worked with Scott in developing the program.

For more information on volunteering, contact Maria Scott at m.scott@miami.edu or Kaleena Salguiero at k.salguiero@miami.edu.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Valenzuela

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...