Annual arts festival returns

Courtesy Coconut Grove Arts Festival®

Welcome to the 48th Coconut Grove Arts Festival, where food is transformed into works of art and favorite artists are only a click away.

The three-day festival, considered one of the most prestigious in the country, will host the works of 360 internationally recognized artists along the scenic streets of Coconut Grove, including 15 local artists and two from Coconut Grove. Organizers expect around 150,000 people to attend this year.

“I see an arts festival as an education for folks, a chance to explore or try and learn about what they like,” Lilia Garcia, the chair of the festival’s art committee, told The Miami Herald. “It’s a fun way to learn about art and hopefully they’ll support the arts around the community.”

One of the new features of the festival this year is cake in the form of art.

“We want it to be seen as art. It wasn’t chosen just because it’s cake, we chose it because it’s a nice piece of art,” Garcia said.

Another feature this year is a new iPhone and Android app specifically for festival attendees.

“People will be able to find their favorite artist or their favorite food vendor,” said Katherine Phillips-Chaplin, chief operating officer for the festival to The Miami Herald. “I hope it will help round out their experience.”

The free app will allow users to browse through the schedule of events, search for artists and view a map of exhibits.

“I’m thinking of checking it out,” said Rebecca Pearson, a second-year exchange student and art history major. “I heard the word art and it’s just down the street, I thought, ‘cool!'”

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamiurricane.com.

If you go:

What: The 48th annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival

When: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Saturday through Monday

Where: The Festival runs along the streets of McFarlane Road, South Bayshore Drive and Pan American Drive. Parking is available in the CocoWalk and Mayfair garages.

Admission: $10

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...