Annual arts festival returns

Courtesy Coconut Grove Arts Festival®

Welcome to the 48th Coconut Grove Arts Festival, where food is transformed into works of art and favorite artists are only a click away.

The three-day festival, considered one of the most prestigious in the country, will host the works of 360 internationally recognized artists along the scenic streets of Coconut Grove, including 15 local artists and two from Coconut Grove. Organizers expect around 150,000 people to attend this year.

“I see an arts festival as an education for folks, a chance to explore or try and learn about what they like,” Lilia Garcia, the chair of the festival’s art committee, told The Miami Herald. “It’s a fun way to learn about art and hopefully they’ll support the arts around the community.”

One of the new features of the festival this year is cake in the form of art.

“We want it to be seen as art. It wasn’t chosen just because it’s cake, we chose it because it’s a nice piece of art,” Garcia said.

Another feature this year is a new iPhone and Android app specifically for festival attendees.

“People will be able to find their favorite artist or their favorite food vendor,” said Katherine Phillips-Chaplin, chief operating officer for the festival to The Miami Herald. “I hope it will help round out their experience.”

The free app will allow users to browse through the schedule of events, search for artists and view a map of exhibits.

“I’m thinking of checking it out,” said Rebecca Pearson, a second-year exchange student and art history major. “I heard the word art and it’s just down the street, I thought, ‘cool!'”

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamiurricane.com.

If you go:

What: The 48th annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival

When: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Saturday through Monday

Where: The Festival runs along the streets of McFarlane Road, South Bayshore Drive and Pan American Drive. Parking is available in the CocoWalk and Mayfair garages.

Admission: $10

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...