American Marketing Association

University of Miami students can now become members of the American Marketing Association (AMA), one of the most prestigious marketing organizations in the nation.

The nationwide club informs students about the marketing field by connecting them to professionals in the field.

Jackie Birnbaum led the effort to join the UM chapter of the AMA with the 13 other collegiate organizations in the state.

“We want students to know how great it looks to be associated with the AMA,” Birnbaum said. “With 76 professional chapters, the networking gives students endless internship and job opportunities.”

The AMA provides students with field experience by visiting different companies, which creates a sense of camaraderie among members. Each semester the club also has several guest speakers- including a speaker from Abercrombie last semester. Members also have access to an exclusive database with job openings in the marketing field.

Translating the knowledge they acquire into aiding other student organizations helps satisfy the AMA’s ultimate goal.

“Getting involved with other organizations on campus helps us gain more experience,” Birnbaum said. “And that’s what will help us in the real world.”

The AMA is currently made up of 45 students but isn’t limited to marketing majors.  Though annual national dues are $45 and monthly chapter dues are $15, sophomore Zach DeVito considers it money well spent. DeVito initially joined the club because of his interest in the business field.  Shortly after joining the AMA, DeVito became a marketing major.

“The AMA pointed me in the right direction and gave me so much more motivation to get involved,” DeVito said.

Freshman Jenna Meyerowitz quickly took on a position after joining the organization during orientation in the fall.

“I initially wanted to learn about the marketing field, which the AMA has made a lot clearer,” Meyerowitz said. “As community service chairwoman, I help local high schools with their marketing clubs and have already had a lot of hands-on experience.”

On Feb. 21, the AMA will host its first annual Marketing Week, with several events planned. The biggest one, the Duck Race, has individual students and members of campus organizations race rubber ducks across the UC Pool for prize money.

“The main goal of the club is to prepare and educate students,” Birnbaum said. “I hope the club can bridge the gap between the classroom setting and the real world of marketing.”

The AMA meets every Tuesday at 8 p.m. in AGB331.  For more information about the club, contact j.birnbaum@umiami.edu.

Chelsea Frankel may be contacted at cfrankel@themiamihurricane.com.

Authors

Chelsea Frankel

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...