American Marketing Association

University of Miami students can now become members of the American Marketing Association (AMA), one of the most prestigious marketing organizations in the nation.

The nationwide club informs students about the marketing field by connecting them to professionals in the field.

Jackie Birnbaum led the effort to join the UM chapter of the AMA with the 13 other collegiate organizations in the state.

“We want students to know how great it looks to be associated with the AMA,” Birnbaum said. “With 76 professional chapters, the networking gives students endless internship and job opportunities.”

The AMA provides students with field experience by visiting different companies, which creates a sense of camaraderie among members. Each semester the club also has several guest speakers- including a speaker from Abercrombie last semester. Members also have access to an exclusive database with job openings in the marketing field.

Translating the knowledge they acquire into aiding other student organizations helps satisfy the AMA’s ultimate goal.

“Getting involved with other organizations on campus helps us gain more experience,” Birnbaum said. “And that’s what will help us in the real world.”

The AMA is currently made up of 45 students but isn’t limited to marketing majors.  Though annual national dues are $45 and monthly chapter dues are $15, sophomore Zach DeVito considers it money well spent. DeVito initially joined the club because of his interest in the business field.  Shortly after joining the AMA, DeVito became a marketing major.

“The AMA pointed me in the right direction and gave me so much more motivation to get involved,” DeVito said.

Freshman Jenna Meyerowitz quickly took on a position after joining the organization during orientation in the fall.

“I initially wanted to learn about the marketing field, which the AMA has made a lot clearer,” Meyerowitz said. “As community service chairwoman, I help local high schools with their marketing clubs and have already had a lot of hands-on experience.”

On Feb. 21, the AMA will host its first annual Marketing Week, with several events planned. The biggest one, the Duck Race, has individual students and members of campus organizations race rubber ducks across the UC Pool for prize money.

“The main goal of the club is to prepare and educate students,” Birnbaum said. “I hope the club can bridge the gap between the classroom setting and the real world of marketing.”

The AMA meets every Tuesday at 8 p.m. in AGB331.  For more information about the club, contact j.birnbaum@umiami.edu.

Chelsea Frankel may be contacted at cfrankel@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Frankel

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...