American Marketing Association

University of Miami students can now become members of the American Marketing Association (AMA), one of the most prestigious marketing organizations in the nation.

The nationwide club informs students about the marketing field by connecting them to professionals in the field.

Jackie Birnbaum led the effort to join the UM chapter of the AMA with the 13 other collegiate organizations in the state.

“We want students to know how great it looks to be associated with the AMA,” Birnbaum said. “With 76 professional chapters, the networking gives students endless internship and job opportunities.”

The AMA provides students with field experience by visiting different companies, which creates a sense of camaraderie among members. Each semester the club also has several guest speakers- including a speaker from Abercrombie last semester. Members also have access to an exclusive database with job openings in the marketing field.

Translating the knowledge they acquire into aiding other student organizations helps satisfy the AMA’s ultimate goal.

“Getting involved with other organizations on campus helps us gain more experience,” Birnbaum said. “And that’s what will help us in the real world.”

The AMA is currently made up of 45 students but isn’t limited to marketing majors.  Though annual national dues are $45 and monthly chapter dues are $15, sophomore Zach DeVito considers it money well spent. DeVito initially joined the club because of his interest in the business field.  Shortly after joining the AMA, DeVito became a marketing major.

“The AMA pointed me in the right direction and gave me so much more motivation to get involved,” DeVito said.

Freshman Jenna Meyerowitz quickly took on a position after joining the organization during orientation in the fall.

“I initially wanted to learn about the marketing field, which the AMA has made a lot clearer,” Meyerowitz said. “As community service chairwoman, I help local high schools with their marketing clubs and have already had a lot of hands-on experience.”

On Feb. 21, the AMA will host its first annual Marketing Week, with several events planned. The biggest one, the Duck Race, has individual students and members of campus organizations race rubber ducks across the UC Pool for prize money.

“The main goal of the club is to prepare and educate students,” Birnbaum said. “I hope the club can bridge the gap between the classroom setting and the real world of marketing.”

The AMA meets every Tuesday at 8 p.m. in AGB331.  For more information about the club, contact j.birnbaum@umiami.edu.

Chelsea Frankel may be contacted at cfrankel@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Frankel

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...