American Marketing Association

University of Miami students can now become members of the American Marketing Association (AMA), one of the most prestigious marketing organizations in the nation.

The nationwide club informs students about the marketing field by connecting them to professionals in the field.

Jackie Birnbaum led the effort to join the UM chapter of the AMA with the 13 other collegiate organizations in the state.

“We want students to know how great it looks to be associated with the AMA,” Birnbaum said. “With 76 professional chapters, the networking gives students endless internship and job opportunities.”

The AMA provides students with field experience by visiting different companies, which creates a sense of camaraderie among members. Each semester the club also has several guest speakers- including a speaker from Abercrombie last semester. Members also have access to an exclusive database with job openings in the marketing field.

Translating the knowledge they acquire into aiding other student organizations helps satisfy the AMA’s ultimate goal.

“Getting involved with other organizations on campus helps us gain more experience,” Birnbaum said. “And that’s what will help us in the real world.”

The AMA is currently made up of 45 students but isn’t limited to marketing majors.  Though annual national dues are $45 and monthly chapter dues are $15, sophomore Zach DeVito considers it money well spent. DeVito initially joined the club because of his interest in the business field.  Shortly after joining the AMA, DeVito became a marketing major.

“The AMA pointed me in the right direction and gave me so much more motivation to get involved,” DeVito said.

Freshman Jenna Meyerowitz quickly took on a position after joining the organization during orientation in the fall.

“I initially wanted to learn about the marketing field, which the AMA has made a lot clearer,” Meyerowitz said. “As community service chairwoman, I help local high schools with their marketing clubs and have already had a lot of hands-on experience.”

On Feb. 21, the AMA will host its first annual Marketing Week, with several events planned. The biggest one, the Duck Race, has individual students and members of campus organizations race rubber ducks across the UC Pool for prize money.

“The main goal of the club is to prepare and educate students,” Birnbaum said. “I hope the club can bridge the gap between the classroom setting and the real world of marketing.”

The AMA meets every Tuesday at 8 p.m. in AGB331.  For more information about the club, contact j.birnbaum@umiami.edu.

Chelsea Frankel may be contacted at cfrankel@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Frankel

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...