American Marketing Association

University of Miami students can now become members of the American Marketing Association (AMA), one of the most prestigious marketing organizations in the nation.

The nationwide club informs students about the marketing field by connecting them to professionals in the field.

Jackie Birnbaum led the effort to join the UM chapter of the AMA with the 13 other collegiate organizations in the state.

“We want students to know how great it looks to be associated with the AMA,” Birnbaum said. “With 76 professional chapters, the networking gives students endless internship and job opportunities.”

The AMA provides students with field experience by visiting different companies, which creates a sense of camaraderie among members. Each semester the club also has several guest speakers- including a speaker from Abercrombie last semester. Members also have access to an exclusive database with job openings in the marketing field.

Translating the knowledge they acquire into aiding other student organizations helps satisfy the AMA’s ultimate goal.

“Getting involved with other organizations on campus helps us gain more experience,” Birnbaum said. “And that’s what will help us in the real world.”

The AMA is currently made up of 45 students but isn’t limited to marketing majors.  Though annual national dues are $45 and monthly chapter dues are $15, sophomore Zach DeVito considers it money well spent. DeVito initially joined the club because of his interest in the business field.  Shortly after joining the AMA, DeVito became a marketing major.

“The AMA pointed me in the right direction and gave me so much more motivation to get involved,” DeVito said.

Freshman Jenna Meyerowitz quickly took on a position after joining the organization during orientation in the fall.

“I initially wanted to learn about the marketing field, which the AMA has made a lot clearer,” Meyerowitz said. “As community service chairwoman, I help local high schools with their marketing clubs and have already had a lot of hands-on experience.”

On Feb. 21, the AMA will host its first annual Marketing Week, with several events planned. The biggest one, the Duck Race, has individual students and members of campus organizations race rubber ducks across the UC Pool for prize money.

“The main goal of the club is to prepare and educate students,” Birnbaum said. “I hope the club can bridge the gap between the classroom setting and the real world of marketing.”

The AMA meets every Tuesday at 8 p.m. in AGB331.  For more information about the club, contact j.birnbaum@umiami.edu.

Chelsea Frankel may be contacted at cfrankel@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Frankel

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...