King Stanford reclaims his crown, pride

Stanford residents cheer after hearing that they won SportsFest Sunday, ending Hecht’s nine-year winning streak. Marlena Skrobe // Photo editor

They say that every dog has its day. This day belonged, without a doubt, to Stanford Residential College.

With an overall score of 13,035 points, Stanford edged out Hecht’s 12,790 points for the SportsFest championship, snapping Hecht’s nine-year winning streak.

“We went in with the right mentality,” said Jacob Sperber, a first-year Stanford resident assistant (RA). “We thought ‘we will.’ And we did.”

The win holds special meaning for senior RAs, who now believe they can graduate in peace.

“I really wanted to win before graduating,” said Meghan Gunning, a four-year Stanford veteran and third year RA. “This is a good accomplishment!”

The Stanford RAs had their winning mentality from day one of their training in August. Seth Reder and Phil Duventre, the new area director and assistant area director, came in expecting a lot.

“I think we won because of the RAs’ effort,” she said. “But the spirit of the residents made it go all the way.”

Sperber noted that many members of his floor competed in four or five events.

“They really took it upon themselves to make it a priority,” he said. “That’s what made it so special.”

Camaraderie was a huge part of the event. Despite Stanford’s elation at their victory, many won’t be rubbing it in Hecht’s face any time soon.

“It was a lot of time, but it was time spent well,” Tom Terrill, a Stanford resident said. “I went to most events to cheer on my floor. It’s hard to forget Hecht’s legacy.”

Bhumi Patel, a Hecht resident, was optimistic about the loss.

“It’s sad to see the streak end, but everyone in Hecht worked their hardest and had an amazing amount of spirit,” she said.

The question remains: Is this the beginning of a new streak for Stanford?

“I hope so!” said Sperber with a grin. “Now that this staff has tasted victory, we want to continue it.”

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “King Stanford reclaims his crown, pride”

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...