Ring showcases justice, love, revenge

An epic battle of the sexes is coming to a ring near you.

You don’t need a pay-per-view subscription to catch this match because it is happening on campus at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. The ancient Greek play “Lysistrata” opens Wednesday and alternates with the modern comedy “Big Love” until Feb. 27. Both shows touch on timeless themes of justice, revenge and the ultimate power of love.

“Lysistrata” takes place in ancient Greece during the 21st year of its war with Sparta. Focused on fighting, the macho warriors declare no lovemaking until the war’s conclusion. In protest, the frustrated women barricade themselves in the Acropolis, motivating the men to quickly summon peace in favor of love.

“Big Love” is also based on Greek tradition but is set in the present day. Based on Aeschylus’ classic tragedy “The Suppliant Women,” 50 brides flee to Italy to escape their arranged marriages to 50 cousins. They are inevitably found by the deserted men, creating a comedic situation that unfolds with twists and turns.

“It won’t look like a show people have seen before,” said senior Heath Saunders, who stars in “Big Love.” “We are doing shows that aren’t done often in interesting ways.”

Director Jennifer Vallenga chose the play to draw a contrast not only between Greek drama and Greek comedy, but also ancient and modern theatrical pieces.

“It’s a good counterpart to see the comparison and similarities, but it also has Greek themes of justice, love and revenge,” Vallenga said.

Vallenga and the cast have worked hard to spin these themes in a surprising and shocking way.

“I think that we’ve tried to make some real contemporary twists on it and the way that we’ve done it,” Vallenga said. “There’s a lot of sex, lots of skin and athleticism that will appeal to students.”

“Big Love” tells the story of a younger generation, something Saunders hopes will help fill the seats with students. He is expecting theatergoers to leave the theater with different opinions.

“It’s an unusual show for people our age but I think that’s our target audience,” he said. “I think that both of these pieces will be hard to make sweeping judgments on because I think anyone will come to it and really love certain things and be really turned off by others.”

Cassie Glenn may be contacted at cglenn@themiamihurricane.com.

Cassie Glenn

Contributing EDGE Writer

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...