Canes lonely no more

What would you do for a fellow Cane?

During Tuesday’s kickoff event, Canes Care for Canes will encourage students to ask this question of themselves.

Canes Care for Canes is an initiative implemented last semester by the Division of Student Affairs to promote a community-wide effort of caring and responsibility. The goal of the Canes Care for Canes initiative is to provide students with the resources they need to overcome life’s challenges.

Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, talked about the many obstacles to success that students face every day. She stressed the responsibility we all have to help and take care of each other.

“This initiative embodies caring from the top down,” said Dr. Gail Cole-Avent, university ombudsperson and assistant to the vice president. “Don’t be a bystander, be active in your friends’ lives and in your peers lives… we are never alone if we reach out to one another.”

This semester, Canes Care for Canes will launch their second phase to promote their new interactive Web site and anonymous reporting form, as well as motivating students to get involved.

Tuesday’s kickoff event will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to sign the Canes Care for Canes pledge. A presentation featuring Dr. Whitely, Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall and SG President Christina Farmer will take place from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.

Kristen Spillane may be contacted at kspillane@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristen Spillane

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...