Canes lonely no more

What would you do for a fellow Cane?

During Tuesday’s kickoff event, Canes Care for Canes will encourage students to ask this question of themselves.

Canes Care for Canes is an initiative implemented last semester by the Division of Student Affairs to promote a community-wide effort of caring and responsibility. The goal of the Canes Care for Canes initiative is to provide students with the resources they need to overcome life’s challenges.

Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, talked about the many obstacles to success that students face every day. She stressed the responsibility we all have to help and take care of each other.

“This initiative embodies caring from the top down,” said Dr. Gail Cole-Avent, university ombudsperson and assistant to the vice president. “Don’t be a bystander, be active in your friends’ lives and in your peers lives… we are never alone if we reach out to one another.”

This semester, Canes Care for Canes will launch their second phase to promote their new interactive Web site and anonymous reporting form, as well as motivating students to get involved.

Tuesday’s kickoff event will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to sign the Canes Care for Canes pledge. A presentation featuring Dr. Whitely, Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall and SG President Christina Farmer will take place from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.

Kristen Spillane may be contacted at kspillane@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristen Spillane

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...