Canes lonely no more

What would you do for a fellow Cane?

During Tuesday’s kickoff event, Canes Care for Canes will encourage students to ask this question of themselves.

Canes Care for Canes is an initiative implemented last semester by the Division of Student Affairs to promote a community-wide effort of caring and responsibility. The goal of the Canes Care for Canes initiative is to provide students with the resources they need to overcome life’s challenges.

Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, talked about the many obstacles to success that students face every day. She stressed the responsibility we all have to help and take care of each other.

“This initiative embodies caring from the top down,” said Dr. Gail Cole-Avent, university ombudsperson and assistant to the vice president. “Don’t be a bystander, be active in your friends’ lives and in your peers lives… we are never alone if we reach out to one another.”

This semester, Canes Care for Canes will launch their second phase to promote their new interactive Web site and anonymous reporting form, as well as motivating students to get involved.

Tuesday’s kickoff event will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to sign the Canes Care for Canes pledge. A presentation featuring Dr. Whitely, Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall and SG President Christina Farmer will take place from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.

Kristen Spillane may be contacted at kspillane@themiamihurricane.com.