Canes lonely no more

What would you do for a fellow Cane?

During Tuesday’s kickoff event, Canes Care for Canes will encourage students to ask this question of themselves.

Canes Care for Canes is an initiative implemented last semester by the Division of Student Affairs to promote a community-wide effort of caring and responsibility. The goal of the Canes Care for Canes initiative is to provide students with the resources they need to overcome life’s challenges.

Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, talked about the many obstacles to success that students face every day. She stressed the responsibility we all have to help and take care of each other.

“This initiative embodies caring from the top down,” said Dr. Gail Cole-Avent, university ombudsperson and assistant to the vice president. “Don’t be a bystander, be active in your friends’ lives and in your peers lives… we are never alone if we reach out to one another.”

This semester, Canes Care for Canes will launch their second phase to promote their new interactive Web site and anonymous reporting form, as well as motivating students to get involved.

Tuesday’s kickoff event will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to sign the Canes Care for Canes pledge. A presentation featuring Dr. Whitely, Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall and SG President Christina Farmer will take place from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.

Kristen Spillane may be contacted at kspillane@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristen Spillane

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...