Canes lonely no more

What would you do for a fellow Cane?

During Tuesday’s kickoff event, Canes Care for Canes will encourage students to ask this question of themselves.

Canes Care for Canes is an initiative implemented last semester by the Division of Student Affairs to promote a community-wide effort of caring and responsibility. The goal of the Canes Care for Canes initiative is to provide students with the resources they need to overcome life’s challenges.

Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, talked about the many obstacles to success that students face every day. She stressed the responsibility we all have to help and take care of each other.

“This initiative embodies caring from the top down,” said Dr. Gail Cole-Avent, university ombudsperson and assistant to the vice president. “Don’t be a bystander, be active in your friends’ lives and in your peers lives… we are never alone if we reach out to one another.”

This semester, Canes Care for Canes will launch their second phase to promote their new interactive Web site and anonymous reporting form, as well as motivating students to get involved.

Tuesday’s kickoff event will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Rock. Students will have the opportunity to sign the Canes Care for Canes pledge. A presentation featuring Dr. Whitely, Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall and SG President Christina Farmer will take place from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.

Kristen Spillane may be contacted at kspillane@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristen Spillane

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...