News Briefs

The Rat’s  Birthday

The Rathskeller will be celebrating its 38th birthday on Thursday. The Rathskeller Advisory Board will be having giveaways and distributing free birthday cake from noon to 2 p.m. and free photo keychains and custom Rathskeller license plates from 2 to 6 p.m.

WVUM Gets Woodie NOM

University of Miami radio station WVUM “the Voice,” has made it to the top 25 in consideration for an mtvU Woodie Award for the best college radio station in the United States. The top 10 nominees for the award will be revealed Thursday on mtvU’s Web site, where voting will be open to the public. The awards will air March 16 at midnight on MTV, MTV2 and mtvU.

Business Expo

The Iota Nu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will be hosting a black business expo on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the UC Lower Lounge. The event will feature 10 to 20 small black-owned businesses and professionals specializing in new business expansion and growth. For more information, contact m.franks2@umiami.edu.

Krispy Kreme Fundraiser

The UM Petitioning Group of Alpha Phi Omega is hosting a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Presale until Feb. 18. Each box of a dozen doughnuts is $8 and will be delivered from 8:30 to 10 a.m. on Feb. 21. There will be limited boxes for sale on Feb. 21. E-mail your order to Ruby Hernandez at umalphaphiomega@gmail.com.

Apply to be a Fellow

Applications to become an Orientation Fellow for the Fall 2011 Orientation are available at miami.edu/orientation and will be due on Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Fellows will assist in welcoming new students and will lead a group of students through the orientation experience.

Alexandra Leon and Alysha Khan may be contacted at asstnews@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor