News Briefs

The Rat’s  Birthday

The Rathskeller will be celebrating its 38th birthday on Thursday. The Rathskeller Advisory Board will be having giveaways and distributing free birthday cake from noon to 2 p.m. and free photo keychains and custom Rathskeller license plates from 2 to 6 p.m.

WVUM Gets Woodie NOM

University of Miami radio station WVUM “the Voice,” has made it to the top 25 in consideration for an mtvU Woodie Award for the best college radio station in the United States. The top 10 nominees for the award will be revealed Thursday on mtvU’s Web site, where voting will be open to the public. The awards will air March 16 at midnight on MTV, MTV2 and mtvU.

Business Expo

The Iota Nu chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will be hosting a black business expo on Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the UC Lower Lounge. The event will feature 10 to 20 small black-owned businesses and professionals specializing in new business expansion and growth. For more information, contact m.franks2@umiami.edu.

Krispy Kreme Fundraiser

The UM Petitioning Group of Alpha Phi Omega is hosting a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Presale until Feb. 18. Each box of a dozen doughnuts is $8 and will be delivered from 8:30 to 10 a.m. on Feb. 21. There will be limited boxes for sale on Feb. 21. E-mail your order to Ruby Hernandez at umalphaphiomega@gmail.com.

Apply to be a Fellow

Applications to become an Orientation Fellow for the Fall 2011 Orientation are available at miami.edu/orientation and will be due on Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Fellows will assist in welcoming new students and will lead a group of students through the orientation experience.

Alexandra Leon and Alysha Khan may be contacted at asstnews@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...