SG State of the U updates students

On Wednesday, two large, purple cakes were served on the steps of the Rock. The cakes were stamped with the slogan for the current Student Government (SG) administration’s motto, “UFirst.”

The cakes were in honor of the annual State of the U address, which was held at 4:30 p.m. on the Rock. SG President Christina Farmer spoke on the progress her administration has made during the fall semester, as well as the changes that the school has undergone.

“UFirst has been the overriding philosophy from day one,” Farmer said. “It wasn’t just a campaign slogan, but a roadmap for what I wanted my time as president to look like.”

Farmer, who was elected last spring, has been able to make several changes to campus policy including a farmer’s market on campus and an ICEE machine in the C-Store. Free legal aid to students has also been made possible.

A smartphone application that will integrate myUM, miami.edu, athletics, calendars and UMail is set for release in April.

“Christina’s term as president has been characterized by real leadership, devotion to her role and an ability to get things done for the students,” said Ryan Aquilina, press secretary for SG. “Christina is always asking what the students will think, how it will affect students and what the students want.”

Another change Farmer spoke about was the SG referendum passed by student vote last semester, which will increase the student activity fee by $1. This extra funding will be given to SG and the next executive board will decide how to use it.

“I really thought Christina’s theme was very powerful. It was all about how she turned a campaign slogan into the goal of her administration,” said Jennifer Safstrom, commuter senator and chair of SG’s policy and finance committee.

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.