Scholarship encourages acceptance

A new scholarship through the International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) office has been created with preference for gay and lesbian students.

The Lawrence R. Hyer/Edward Pascoe Study Abroad Scholarship, named after its donors, will provide funds for students who intend to study abroad for a semester or a year on a UM program.

The donors requested that preference being given to self-identified gay and lesbian applicants. It is not clear from the application form if  preference is also given to others in the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community.

The scholarship is offered for up to $2,500 to study abroad for a year or semester and requires an application and interview process.

“It’s a vote of confidence in students who receive the scholarship,” said Edward Pascoe, one of the donors.

Pascoe studied abroad himself for a year in Rome during his undergraduate study and said it was “one of the most impactful experiences” of his college years. This is the second study abroad scholarship named after Pascoe, the first being offered to residents of Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties.

“[Studying abroad] broadens people, makes them more liberal, tolerant and accepting, something of great importance today,” Pascoe said.

Lawrence Hyer, the other donor, did not study abroad himself,  but sees the value of doing so.

“Students can come back to Miami and be a better citizen,” Hyer said. “It is an opportunity that can have a real influence on the study abroad recipient.”

Student interest regarding the scholarship is building, though not everyone is pleased with the idea.

“Why should any student be offered preference for a scholarship based on any fact other than merit or financial need?” senior Heath Saunders asked.

Paige Giusfredi, president of SpectrUM, thinks the scholarship is a great idea.

“It helps to reaffirm that the university supports all minorities,” Giusfredi said. “This is especially important at a time where GLBT rights aren’t often guaranteed or even respected.”

Ryan Aquilina may be contacted at raquilina@themiamihurricane.com.

Infobox
Students interested in applying for the scholarship can download an application on the Study Abroad Office’s website at Miami.edu/studyabroad. Applications are due by March 1st.

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...