Not so scary ‘Roommate’

Courtesy moviecarpet.com

“The Roommate” is nothing more than a fusion of “Single White Female” and “Fatal Attraction.”

Director Christian E. Christiansen’s attempt at a thriller failed miserably, considering how scarce this movie is on scares. However, it is impossible to expect much after watching the trailer.
Sara Matthews (Minka Kelly) is a fashion design student at the University of Los Angeles. “Gossip Girl’s” Leighton Meester plays Matthews’ new roommate and stalker, Rebecca.
At first, Rebecca seems like just an overbearing friend. However, soon things take a dark turn when Rebecca murders someone to protect Matthews.
In addition to the unoriginal plotline, the first half of the movie is incredibly slow. It seems like all the suspense and action are thrown into the last 15 minutes of the film. The final scenes are probably the most entertaining part of the poorly executed thriller.
On a more positive note, Meester gives a decent performance, as does Kelly. However, they don’t ease the dullness of the plot. Perhaps a few additional scares throughout the movie could have made it more enjoyable.
Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.
Rating: 2/4 stars
Starring: Minka Kelly, Leighton Meester, Cam Gigandet
Directed By: Christian E. Christiansen
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...