Not Cook-wells, Chartwells

Sometimes I wonder whether they transport the lettuce in from city dump. Every regular Chartwells diner I know understands the importance of the backup meal. You certainly can’t count on Terra Ve, Dish, or Origins to have an appealing meal. Before begrudgingly committing ourselves to the meal plan, we optimistically expected we could at least count on a satisfactory bowl of salad. Unfortunately, we must surrender to the fact that Chartwells and optimism never belong in the same sentence.

I feel a pang of pity for the woman at the front who with a pained expression swipes my Cane Card. Not sure what I can do to help her. The Chartwells employee must be treated delicately. They almost all have short fuses. After they slop sour cream on your Mexican burrito bowl (after you specifically asked them not to), you must smile curtly and move on. Do not look back. Just walk away. You may find that your shoes stick the floor as you leave. That isn’t your revulsion for what’s on your plate. Don’t look down. You can clean your shoes later.

I’ve learned to only entrust the stir-fry guy at night. The “cooks” at lunch give the vegetables and chicken only a brief moment to get acquainted in the frying pan before dumping the raw mixture into a bowl. Do not raise an eyebrow. I’m sure in certain parts of the Far East raw vegetable/cold meat stir-fry is a delicacy.

This is my third year on the Chartwells diet. I call it a diet because after losing my freshman fifteen, I lose weight every time after returning to campus from break. This is the first year where I cannot even count on ice or forks. Students expect at least the bare essentials for $2,000 price tag each semester. They expect the rumble of the ice machine to be followed the by satisfying plops each ice cube makes as it falls into your plastic cup.

Well, for now we’ll have to contend with this provider of prison food. Oh, and remember to mind the guards…you cannot take that half-a-sandwich with you outside! Bon appetit.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at
jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com
.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

A sobering reminder came watching the Golden State Warriors slice through the NBA to a championship ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

The Miami women's swimming & diving program was among those recognized by the College Swimm ...

Five members of the University of Miami track and field program will compete against their country ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Dejan Vasiljevic is set to compete for Australia ...

Nine Hurricanes were named to Athlon Sports Preseason All-ACC Teams, including a conference-leading ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...