Not Cook-wells, Chartwells

Sometimes I wonder whether they transport the lettuce in from city dump. Every regular Chartwells diner I know understands the importance of the backup meal. You certainly can’t count on Terra Ve, Dish, or Origins to have an appealing meal. Before begrudgingly committing ourselves to the meal plan, we optimistically expected we could at least count on a satisfactory bowl of salad. Unfortunately, we must surrender to the fact that Chartwells and optimism never belong in the same sentence.

I feel a pang of pity for the woman at the front who with a pained expression swipes my Cane Card. Not sure what I can do to help her. The Chartwells employee must be treated delicately. They almost all have short fuses. After they slop sour cream on your Mexican burrito bowl (after you specifically asked them not to), you must smile curtly and move on. Do not look back. Just walk away. You may find that your shoes stick the floor as you leave. That isn’t your revulsion for what’s on your plate. Don’t look down. You can clean your shoes later.

I’ve learned to only entrust the stir-fry guy at night. The “cooks” at lunch give the vegetables and chicken only a brief moment to get acquainted in the frying pan before dumping the raw mixture into a bowl. Do not raise an eyebrow. I’m sure in certain parts of the Far East raw vegetable/cold meat stir-fry is a delicacy.

This is my third year on the Chartwells diet. I call it a diet because after losing my freshman fifteen, I lose weight every time after returning to campus from break. This is the first year where I cannot even count on ice or forks. Students expect at least the bare essentials for $2,000 price tag each semester. They expect the rumble of the ice machine to be followed the by satisfying plops each ice cube makes as it falls into your plastic cup.

Well, for now we’ll have to contend with this provider of prison food. Oh, and remember to mind the guards…you cannot take that half-a-sandwich with you outside! Bon appetit.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at
jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com
.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...