News Briefs 2/7

Dining services consortium

University of Miami administrators in the Office of Dining and Vending Services have created a dining task force that will reevaluate food options on campus. The group, which includes student representatives from the Student Government dining services advisory board and representatives from the graduate school and law school, drafted two surveys to gauge student interest in dining on campus.

The first survey will be sent by e-mail this week to students who have purchased meal plans to evaluate residential dining, and the second will be sent later to all students, faculty and staff to evaluate retail dining on campus such as food court vendors, Sbarros and Starbucks. The first group of respondents will be eligible to receive prizes such as an ipod touch or an ipad.

The task force plans to follow up the surveys with open meetings where students can give feedback about dining services and discuss how dining can improve.

Nominate your supervisor

Have a great boss? Students can now nominate their on-campus employers for the UM Supervisor of the Year Award on the Office of Student Employment Web site. Nominations are due March 4. The results will be announced during National Student Employment Week, April 11 – 15. Visit miami.edu/ose and click “OSE forms” to vote for that special employer in your life.

Spring Career Expo

Toppel Career Center will be hosting this year’s Spring Career Expo Wednesday, Feb. 9 at the Bank United Center from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A variety of industries will be present, so students from any year, background or major are welcome to attend. The list of organizations that are recruiting is available at miami.edu/careerexpo. Make sure to dress professionally, take multiple copies of your resume and collect business cards from recruiters for a successful experience.

Cafe expands hours

Sebastian’s Cafe, located in the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center, is now open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cafe also has a new menu with a greater variety of options.

Orientation Fellow applications

Applications to become a Orientation Fellow for the Fall 2011 Orientation will be available Feb. 7 at www.miami.edu/orientation and will be due on Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Fellows will assist in welcoming new students and will lead a group of students through the Orientation experience.

Yearbook photos deadline

The last day to have your Yearbook photo taken is Feb.10. Portraits will be taken all week from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and are free for freshman, sophomore, and juniors. Graduating seniors must sign up for an appointment at www.miami.edu/ibis. For additional information, call (305) 284-6385.

Alexandra Leon and Alysha Khan may be contacted at asstnews@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 2/7”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...