News Briefs 2/7

Dining services consortium

University of Miami administrators in the Office of Dining and Vending Services have created a dining task force that will reevaluate food options on campus. The group, which includes student representatives from the Student Government dining services advisory board and representatives from the graduate school and law school, drafted two surveys to gauge student interest in dining on campus.

The first survey will be sent by e-mail this week to students who have purchased meal plans to evaluate residential dining, and the second will be sent later to all students, faculty and staff to evaluate retail dining on campus such as food court vendors, Sbarros and Starbucks. The first group of respondents will be eligible to receive prizes such as an ipod touch or an ipad.

The task force plans to follow up the surveys with open meetings where students can give feedback about dining services and discuss how dining can improve.

Nominate your supervisor

Have a great boss? Students can now nominate their on-campus employers for the UM Supervisor of the Year Award on the Office of Student Employment Web site. Nominations are due March 4. The results will be announced during National Student Employment Week, April 11 – 15. Visit miami.edu/ose and click “OSE forms” to vote for that special employer in your life.

Spring Career Expo

Toppel Career Center will be hosting this year’s Spring Career Expo Wednesday, Feb. 9 at the Bank United Center from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A variety of industries will be present, so students from any year, background or major are welcome to attend. The list of organizations that are recruiting is available at miami.edu/careerexpo. Make sure to dress professionally, take multiple copies of your resume and collect business cards from recruiters for a successful experience.

Cafe expands hours

Sebastian’s Cafe, located in the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center, is now open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cafe also has a new menu with a greater variety of options.

Orientation Fellow applications

Applications to become a Orientation Fellow for the Fall 2011 Orientation will be available Feb. 7 at www.miami.edu/orientation and will be due on Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Fellows will assist in welcoming new students and will lead a group of students through the Orientation experience.

Yearbook photos deadline

The last day to have your Yearbook photo taken is Feb.10. Portraits will be taken all week from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and are free for freshman, sophomore, and juniors. Graduating seniors must sign up for an appointment at www.miami.edu/ibis. For additional information, call (305) 284-6385.

Alexandra Leon and Alysha Khan may be contacted at asstnews@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer