Kill-A-Watt promotes efficiency

Residents of University Village are getting the opportunity to monitor and reduce their carbon footprints.

A pilot program named Kill-A-Watt is coming to UM. Coupled with GreenU initiatives, it will provide students living at the UV with incentives to monitor their energy use and establish more energy-efficient lifestyles.

Senior Sean Ahearn, vice president of Kill-A-Watt, is currently working with Ian McKeown, GreenU sustainability coordinator, to facilitate the program.

“The overall goal is to create greater citizens of Earth,” Ahearn said.

Every month, UV residents who participate in the Kill-A-Watt competition will receive a free energy statement and they will be provided with tips on how to save energy, which in turn will lower their bill.

“The building that saves the most will get a pizza party,” Ahearn said. “Then individuals from that building will get a chance to receive other great prizes.”

The Kill-A-Watt Program can already be found at various educational institutions in the state of Florida, including Florida International University and University of Central Florida. Both schools have reportedly saved thousands of dollars on their energy bills each semester. The program is looking to expand onto other campuses, including the University of Florida.

“We’re looking to get this energy program started this semester,” McKeown said.

The launch date has yet to be determined, but many students living in the UV are excited about the prospects of reducing their carbon footprints.

“Saving energy is important to me and I think it’s great that so many people on campus care,” said junior Arthur Affleck, a UV resident.

Jahnile Smith may be contacted at jsmith@themiamihurricane.com

Jhanile Smith

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...