Kill-A-Watt promotes efficiency

Residents of University Village are getting the opportunity to monitor and reduce their carbon footprints.

A pilot program named Kill-A-Watt is coming to UM. Coupled with GreenU initiatives, it will provide students living at the UV with incentives to monitor their energy use and establish more energy-efficient lifestyles.

Senior Sean Ahearn, vice president of Kill-A-Watt, is currently working with Ian McKeown, GreenU sustainability coordinator, to facilitate the program.

“The overall goal is to create greater citizens of Earth,” Ahearn said.

Every month, UV residents who participate in the Kill-A-Watt competition will receive a free energy statement and they will be provided with tips on how to save energy, which in turn will lower their bill.

“The building that saves the most will get a pizza party,” Ahearn said. “Then individuals from that building will get a chance to receive other great prizes.”

The Kill-A-Watt Program can already be found at various educational institutions in the state of Florida, including Florida International University and University of Central Florida. Both schools have reportedly saved thousands of dollars on their energy bills each semester. The program is looking to expand onto other campuses, including the University of Florida.

“We’re looking to get this energy program started this semester,” McKeown said.

The launch date has yet to be determined, but many students living in the UV are excited about the prospects of reducing their carbon footprints.

“Saving energy is important to me and I think it’s great that so many people on campus care,” said junior Arthur Affleck, a UV resident.

Jahnile Smith may be contacted at jsmith@themiamihurricane.com

Jhanile Smith

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a ga ...

1. DOLPHINS: Fins visit Stinkin' Jets: Biggest challenge facing Dolphins as Sunday's Jets ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 7-3 record, highlighted by Ana Madcur's win over ni ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule Satur ...

Sinead Lohan of the Miami women's tennis team beat two top-65 players to reach the Milwaukee Te ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...