Miami mobile munchies

Owner and chef Ze Carlos Jimenez prepares his “Gourmet Chicken Toztadas” on his food truck, The MexZican Gourmet. The chef uses a variety of ingredients, spices and chiles in order to make his dishes. Lindsay Brown//News Editor

Sit-down restaurants are so 2010; 2011 is all about food trucks.

These on-the-go vendors are invading Miami and setting up camp at a parking lot near you. Most recently, food trucks are in cahoots and have been spotted in Tamiami for Tamiami Trucker’s Food Court as well as at Biscayne Plaza in Downtown Miami. Follow them on Twitter or Facebook to find their location for the day then head over for some great grub. Whether you are craving a grilled cheese, tacos or cupcakes, there’s a truck for you. Here is a peek into five trucks serving up weekly mobile munchies.

Cheese Me Mobile: @CheeseMeMobile

Sure you’ve been eating grilled cheese since you were little, but Cheese Me Mobile takes this classic to a whole new level. Step up and order the American: American cheese melted between your choice of bread and served with a side of savory tomato soup. Or go with something like the McShane-pulled barbecue pork, coleslaw and vintage cheddar stuffed between grilled garlicked Texas toast. The cheese doesn’t stop at sandwiches, they also offer mac and cheese pancakes, pulled pork sliders and Kobe beef chili. The combinations are endless.

Latin Burger and Taco: @LatinBurger

Almost all food trucks offer special twists on burgers, but Latin Burger takes the prize. Their menu boasts a homemade patty of chorizo mixed with sirloin topped with oaxaca cheese, onions and jalapeños with your choice of sauce. You won’t find ketchup here but avocadolicious sauce, red pepper mayo and guachup instead. True to their name, they offer tacos too: chicken tomatillo, pulled pork and chicken mole. Even so, they offer specials daily so you never know what you might get.

Dim Ssäm á GoGo: @SakayaKitchen

This truck hails a motto of “Munch and move on!” but you might find it hard to leave after sampling their delicious Asian-inspired fare.  Depending on the day, the menu features inventive delicacies like pork belly on a banh-mi bun, Korean fried chicken and black plum ribs. Devoted followers will advise you to never pass up the cheese-covered spicy tater tots topped with barbecued short ribs. Some items might sound a bit far-fetched but it’s all worth the tasty risk.

Jefe’s Original Fish Taco and Burger: @JefesOriginal

“Jefe” means “boss” in Spanish and there’s no denying this truck takes control. While they offer all-American burgers, fries and taquitos, their ensenada-style fish tacos shine. Soft fresh corn tortillas envelope beer battered crispy fish, shaved fresh green cabbage, pico de gallo and homemade crema to create the perfect Baja treat.

Sugar Rush: @SugarRushMIAMI

Did someone say deep fried cupcakes? Or what about Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding? They have all that and more at this truck coming straight from the ever-popular Sweetness Bakeshop. Try their G.O.A.T. cookie- a chocolate chip cookie with a fudgy center and there will be no question why it’s referred to as the “Greatest of All Time.” If you would rather slurp your dessert, they also offer milkshakes. There’s no better way to get your sugar rush.

Cassandra Glenn may be contacted at cglenn@themiamihurricane.com.

OTHER FOOD TRUCKS

TO FOLLOW

Follow @TheRollingStove for American food with a twist.

Follow @gastroPodMiami for original mobile gourmet.

FOR EVENTS NEAR YOU, FOLLOW @MiamiFoodTrucks

Cassie Glenn

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Miami mobile munchies”