Every Man in this Village Book Review

Courtesy scribepublications.com

Journalists are often the forgotten casualties of war: it is as though their being paid to remain objective

observers automatically removes them from the emotional stressors and trauma of conflicts. However,
though not all are explicit victims of violence such as CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Christiane Amanpour,
the scars remain – just ask Megan Stack, the author of the searing and timely memoir “Every Man in this
Village is a Liar: An Education in War.”
Stack was called to the front lines after September 11, 2001, and she went on the report from more
than 22 countries in the Middle East. The author, just 25 years old at the time, covered almost
every depressing development in the region’s complex history in the past few years, from the Iraqi
insurgency’s budding days to 2006 Lebanon War.
She fends off the inappropriate advances of an Afghan warlord she suspects of defrauding the
Americans and faces discrimination at every turn on account of her gender and her nationality, and
among the most emotionally trying passages are her describing the car rides en route to the sites of
suicide bombings, knowing what awaits her at the end of the ride. The futility and helplessness she feels
is visceral.
The book is just 272 pages and is at times claustrophobic and incredibly dark; Stack recounts the brutal
murders of friends, colleagues and complete strangers alike with eloquence and pathos. “Every Man”
seems, at times, like Stack’s confession, as if recounting what she’s seen and experienced will absolve
her of her sins. It may not be an easy read, but it is both relevant and essential.
Rating: 3.5/4 stars
Author: Megan Stack
Publisher: Doubleday

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...