V's Take

Dear V: Should this player go and play?

I am in a relationship that is going on three years. My girlfriend is graduating in a few months and I will be at school for the fall. I am starting to realize that I want my space and time to party while still in college. At the same time I have been with her for a while and don’t want to hurt someone I have been with and loved for almost three years. What is some advice?

Sincerely,

Dazed and Confused

Dear Dazed and Confused,

You need to realize what is more important to you. Sadly, you cannot have it both ways- having a wifey back home while also leading the pimp life. A lot of people deal with this, thinking to themselves, “I could be missing out on something else better or just a lot of different somethings.”

And it’s okay to think about that kind of thing.

Take it from someone who has never ever liked commitment. Being a free little bird is often much more fun than getting tied down to one person.  You can do what you want, don’t have to worry about doing or saying something wrong and just have a damn good time. However, take it from someone who is also currently in a pretty serious relationship.

It’s weird.

Who knew that it could be nice being with one person who you genuinely care about and you know will always be there for you. I realized it’s okay to be happy in a relationship and relinquish my player status. So the moral of the story is what do you think is going to make you happier in the long run? I know college would not have been the same for me had I been with someone the past four years.

Yeah, nope, definitely not. However, I think I’m actually happier now than when I was bopping around doing my thang.

Personally, if you still have strong feelings for your girlfriend and are still in love with her, I would suggest sticking it out. If she’s worth it, she’s worth it. The time that remains for you in college is minimal and ultimately won’t matter. But I think we can both agree that if you wrote to me, you are having some sort of doubts about the future of your relationship. You need to talk to her and voice your concerns. I wouldn’t suggest you express your curiosities about trying out someone(s) new, but tell her how you are worried that the difference in settings could negatively affect the two of you.

If you finally decide the single life is for you, then go out and have a ballin’ time. If you join the leagues of the pimps and players you need to do them proud. Be safe, represent.

With love,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...