Football, Sports

The scoop on Super Bowl XLV watch parties

Usually closed on Sundays, the Rathskeller is opening its doors this Sunday for a Super Bowl watch party.

“It was huge last year,” said Everett Price, Jr., manager of the Rathskeller.

Freshman Nicholas Schiller, a Steelers fan, is excited to watch the game on the large indoor screen set up by the Rathskeller.

“It’s awesome,” he said. “Instead of running over to my friend’s dorm and his small screen, I can now watch the game the way it’s meant to be watched.”

Management does not know what to expect after last year’s big turnout.

“It’s tough to say; it’s the Packers and Steelers- plus, last year [the game]was hosted here, so we have to see,” Price said.

Senior Jeremy Jeffers is glad that the Rat is bringing back their popular NFL beer specials.

“It’s usually the only reason I come to the Rat; I mean the food is good, but c’mon!” he said.

The beer is just one of the menu specials being offered by the Rat this year. Fans should look out for several other food and drink specials.

The Rathskeller is known to fill up quickly, so make sure to arrive early for Super Bowl XLV because according to management, there are currently no plans to move the party outdoors.
Doors open at 5 p.m. and kickoff is at 6:30 p.m.

Jason Soriano may be contacted at

Where to watch:

Gordon Biersch
1201 Brickell Ave
Each seat will be sold on Sunday for $20. Price also includes a buffet of burgers, wings, and fries, as well as two tickets for home brewed beer.

Finnegan’s on the River
201 SW 3 Avenue
Party starts at 2 pm and goes all the way until 2 am. Alongside an indoor bar with plasma tvs, they also offer a pool and giant bar with plasma outside as well.

Tobacco Road
626 South Miami Avenue
For those looking to keep it simple, Tobacco Road is offering their Sunday specials while keeping their kitchens open until 4 am.

Hard Rock Live
1 Seminole Way, Hollywood
Those willing to make the drive north can watch the game at the Seminole Hard Rock courtesy of WSVN-Fox. Appearances by the Hard Rock Girls as well appearances by the Lingerie Football League. General admission seating is free of charge.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...