YouNiversity of Miami: Looking back

Is anyone else astonished that it’s already 2011? It feels like just yesterday it was the carefree 90s, when the Internet was just being developed, you could bring a shaving razor and a full bottle of water onto an airplane, and no one outside New Jersey had ever heard the words “Jersey Shore.” You know, the good old days.

Unfortunately, time has a way of moving on, and we are already more than a month into this new decade. In this digital age, it seems that being on the cutting edge of technology and culture is a necessity. While it is true that it is rare to find a student who doesn’t own a cell phone or who doesn’t think an iPod makes working out or zoning out much more pleasurable, there are many more luxurious gadgets that are becoming more practical and necessary.

When the iPad first came out, there were more menstrual jokes associated with its name than positive reviews, but little by little, it gained support. Now, less than a year after its debut, it has become widely renowned and sought-after. Students that don’t want to spend thousands on a laptop are buying an iPad and wireless keyboard, and find the combination impeccable.

USB drivers are certainly nothing new, but are underestimated in their worth. There’s nothing like the lack of Internet connection or a complete hard drive crash to make you wish you saved that 200-page term paper on a disk drive somewhere. These lightweight devices are also ideal for bringing documents to the library to print without lugging around your laptop. The only downside is that they’re so easy to lose!

All in all, our world has become more wireless, more digital, fancier, faster and more functional. It’s a sink or swim society, so grab your iLifesaver and start kicking.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...