Basketball, Sports

Close losses add up for team

Rion Brown rebounds the ball , on Sunday Jan 30, 2011 in Cassell Coliseum. Courtesy Maziar Fahandezh

Four straight games in which the Hurricanes have been unable to put the game away in the final seconds.

Will the fifth time be the charm?

Miami (12-9, 1-6 ACC) will look to pull out of a tailspin and right the ship on Thursday night when they take on Georgia Tech (10-10, 3-4 ACC) at the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes come into the contest having lost five of their last six games, including the last four by a total of 11 points.

The team is holding onto slim hopes of making it to the NCAA tournament, and would need to make a run in order to even be in the discussion to make postseason play. Sitting in last place in the ACC at the moment, the Canes have 10 games and the ACC tournament remaining to get over their recent struggles.

It’s been a rough opening for the Canes in ACC play, but they know that the season is not over just yet. In the 2007-08 season, the last time they made the tournament, they opened up ACC play 2-6, then went on a 6-2 run to end the year.

The team also has quality nonconference wins against Ole Miss and West Virginia to lean on.

The Hurricanes have also traditionally been a better home team as well. Of their last five losses, two were at home, but until that point they were undefeated in the BankUnited Center. Miami plays five of its final 10 games at home, including two on this homestand.

The Yellow Jackets come in to the BUC after suffering a 74-63 loss to Maryland on Sunday night. They currently sit in eighth place in the ACC and are looking to make a push of their own.

Georgia Tech has been dreadful all season when playing in a visiting arena, providing more hope for the Canes. They have yet to win a road game this season, coming into the contest with an 0-6 record in games outside of the Thrillerdome.

The Yellow Jackets are led by junior Iman Shumpert and sophomore Glen Rice Jr., who are averaging 16.6 and 12.6 points per game respectively.

The game starts at 7 p.m. and can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...