Women’s sports deserve a chance

Most people would agree that there is gender bias in American sports. There is a lack of coverage, a lack of administrative positions and a lack of opportunity in women’s athletics.

Though women may not be as physically able to dunk like Michael Jordan, that doesn’t mean they don’t deserve the same opportunities as men.
Before Title IX in 1972, girl’s participation in sports was rare. One out of every 27 girls played a high school varsity sport. Now, it’s one in 2.5.
However, professional leagues struggle to remain in business. The Women’s National Basketball Association’s (WNBA) summer schedule only conflicts with baseball, yet attendance numbers remain low.

Other than the Williams sisters, only a handful of female tennis players are well-known, and more so for their appearance (see Anna Kournikova). Popular female sports, such as gymnastics, beach volleyball and figure skating, reflect more on feminine features and attire than athletic  prowess.
It’s not an uncommon site when Googling the words “female athletes” to find articles entitled “The 15 Sexiest Female Athletes to Watch.” Danica Patrick films racy ads for GoDaddy.com to make a name for herself off the NASCAR track.

If you didn’t know anything about women’s sports or sports media, you’d think their duty is solely to be good-looking.

UM students admit to not attending various women’s sporting events, and alluded to the fact that they don’t find them as interesting as the men’s games. They also don’t get as much publicity from the local media as their male counterparts.

While women may never reach the same level of popularity as men in sports, give some of your attention to women athletics and you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Women’s sports deserve a chance”

1. Dave Goodwin says:

What absolute rubbish.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...