Women’s sports deserve a chance

Most people would agree that there is gender bias in American sports. There is a lack of coverage, a lack of administrative positions and a lack of opportunity in women’s athletics.

Though women may not be as physically able to dunk like Michael Jordan, that doesn’t mean they don’t deserve the same opportunities as men.
Before Title IX in 1972, girl’s participation in sports was rare. One out of every 27 girls played a high school varsity sport. Now, it’s one in 2.5.
However, professional leagues struggle to remain in business. The Women’s National Basketball Association’s (WNBA) summer schedule only conflicts with baseball, yet attendance numbers remain low.

Other than the Williams sisters, only a handful of female tennis players are well-known, and more so for their appearance (see Anna Kournikova). Popular female sports, such as gymnastics, beach volleyball and figure skating, reflect more on feminine features and attire than athletic  prowess.
It’s not an uncommon site when Googling the words “female athletes” to find articles entitled “The 15 Sexiest Female Athletes to Watch.” Danica Patrick films racy ads for GoDaddy.com to make a name for herself off the NASCAR track.

If you didn’t know anything about women’s sports or sports media, you’d think their duty is solely to be good-looking.

UM students admit to not attending various women’s sporting events, and alluded to the fact that they don’t find them as interesting as the men’s games. They also don’t get as much publicity from the local media as their male counterparts.

While women may never reach the same level of popularity as men in sports, give some of your attention to women athletics and you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Women’s sports deserve a chance”

1. Dave Goodwin says:

What absolute rubbish.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...