Options for vegans scarce

Marlena Skrobe//Co-Photo editor

Vegetarians and vegans at the University of Miami are requesting a short order from their dining halls: to bring a greater variety of vegan food options to UM.

Ten days ago students held a rally with PETA’s young adult division, peta2, and gathered 1,586 signatures (about 10 percent of the student population) in support of vegan food options on campus.
“When I started here last year I was blown away by the lack of vegan options,” said Blake Simmons, a sophomore led the rally and who has been vegan.
“They have veggie burgers, but I just have to hope that they’re vegan,” he said.
Simmons’ short term goal at UM is to have the dining halls provide vegan students with one healthy complete meal every day. Eventually, he hopes to have a variety of vegan options.
According to Ryan Huling, a peta2 representative who has worked closely with Simmons, it is difficult to quantify the number of students that are vegan or vegetarian. Yet Aramark, one of the top food providers in the United States, found in a survey that one in four college students is actively seeking vegan options.
“This is really a students’ right issue more than an animal cruelty issue,” Huling said.
Simmons, for example, eats one meal from the dining halls about twice a week. He is on the lowest meal plan which consists of eight meals per week, but it is still a significant expense at $1,914 per semester.
“The meal plan is a huge waste of money if I can’t eat there,” Simmons said.
For the rest of his meals Simmons, who lives in Mahoney, shops at Whole Foods, which caters to his needs in a way the dining halls do not.
Freshman Leela Mundra faces a similar dilemma. She is a vegetarian and is allergic to yeast, but still frequents the dining halls.
“I go twice a day just to socialize with friends, but I do bring a lot of my own food,” Mundra said. “It’s not really worth having my dining hall package.”
Since she does not have a kitchen in her dorm, Mundra has been making a lot of salads. For prepared food that she can microwave, she relies on a buddy system where she trades frozen meals and snacks with a friend who is also vegetarian.
After discovering that the veggie meatballs on her pasta at the dining hall were made of rolled-up corn flakes instead of a protein substitute, Mundra has been wary of the nutrition she is receiving at school.
Still, she said the dining halls have been eager to help her out, offering to bring in yeast-free bread for students with allergies. UM’s food and auxiliary services were unavailable to comment on this story.
“They’re struggling to provide decent vegetarian food, but they’ve shown interest in providing it,” Mundra said.
Mundra, who serves as the College of Arts and Sciences senator for Student Government, is writing a bill in support of what she calls the “vegan movement.” Under discussion is the contract for food court vendors that will soon be up for reevaluation.
Students like vegan senior Christine Berzak are looking forward to these changes.
“I’m excited for higher quality, organic options that are simpler and healthier,” Berzak said.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...