Award-winning actress takes GableStage

Emmy and Golden Globe winning actress, Sharon Gless, plays the role of Jane Juska in “A Round-Heeled Woman.”Courtesy GableStage Theatre

“A Round-Heeled Woman” details the journey of a former school teacher who wants to have sex but has been celibate for 30 years.

The play stars Emmy and Golden Globe winner Sharon Gless, who has worked in successful shows such as “Cagney & Lacey,” “Queer as Folk” and “Burn Notice.”

“A Round-Heeled Woman,” based on Jane Juska’s 2003 best-selling book by the same title, is a GableStage production whose run at the Biltmore has been extended until Feb. 6.

Gless plays Jane Juska, who places a personal ad in the New York Review of Books. Jane quickly finds herself on a rollercoaster ride of emotional and sexual growth. Gless shares the stage with five South Florida actors who play multiple roles.

Although it may seem particularly challenging for the actors to frequently change costumes and then get into character in little time, it did not seem to hamper their talent. Each actor was brilliant in every aspect of their performances.

Gless was fantastic and sexy. She breaks stereotypes about older women seeking sex right from the first scene when she is in bed having phone sex. As she explains to her lover that she is all alone and that she would never do such things with an audience, she suddenly notices the audience, hangs up and starts talking.

Jane’s journey introduces her to men who help her realize what she truly wants in life. The play is about one woman’s search for happiness, and in order to find that happiness, Jane must fix many things in her life, including her relationship with her son.

“A Round-Heeled Woman” is a must-seefor people who enjoy great acting in a relatable story, after all, who doesn’t want happiness?

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com.

If You Go

What: “A Round-Heeled Woman”

Where: GableStage at the Biltmore

1200 Anastasia Ave.

Coral Gables, Fla.

When: Thursday – Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. For additional performances, visit gablestage.org.

Cost: Tickets range from $37.50 to $47.50.

Rosa Orihuela

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...