Award-winning actress takes GableStage

Emmy and Golden Globe winning actress, Sharon Gless, plays the role of Jane Juska in “A Round-Heeled Woman.”Courtesy GableStage Theatre

“A Round-Heeled Woman” details the journey of a former school teacher who wants to have sex but has been celibate for 30 years.

The play stars Emmy and Golden Globe winner Sharon Gless, who has worked in successful shows such as “Cagney & Lacey,” “Queer as Folk” and “Burn Notice.”

“A Round-Heeled Woman,” based on Jane Juska’s 2003 best-selling book by the same title, is a GableStage production whose run at the Biltmore has been extended until Feb. 6.

Gless plays Jane Juska, who places a personal ad in the New York Review of Books. Jane quickly finds herself on a rollercoaster ride of emotional and sexual growth. Gless shares the stage with five South Florida actors who play multiple roles.

Although it may seem particularly challenging for the actors to frequently change costumes and then get into character in little time, it did not seem to hamper their talent. Each actor was brilliant in every aspect of their performances.

Gless was fantastic and sexy. She breaks stereotypes about older women seeking sex right from the first scene when she is in bed having phone sex. As she explains to her lover that she is all alone and that she would never do such things with an audience, she suddenly notices the audience, hangs up and starts talking.

Jane’s journey introduces her to men who help her realize what she truly wants in life. The play is about one woman’s search for happiness, and in order to find that happiness, Jane must fix many things in her life, including her relationship with her son.

“A Round-Heeled Woman” is a must-seefor people who enjoy great acting in a relatable story, after all, who doesn’t want happiness?

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com.

If You Go

What: “A Round-Heeled Woman”

Where: GableStage at the Biltmore

1200 Anastasia Ave.

Coral Gables, Fla.

When: Thursday – Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. For additional performances, visit gablestage.org.

Cost: Tickets range from $37.50 to $47.50.

Rosa Orihuela

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...