Award-winning actress takes GableStage

Emmy and Golden Globe winning actress, Sharon Gless, plays the role of Jane Juska in “A Round-Heeled Woman.”Courtesy GableStage Theatre

“A Round-Heeled Woman” details the journey of a former school teacher who wants to have sex but has been celibate for 30 years.

The play stars Emmy and Golden Globe winner Sharon Gless, who has worked in successful shows such as “Cagney & Lacey,” “Queer as Folk” and “Burn Notice.”

“A Round-Heeled Woman,” based on Jane Juska’s 2003 best-selling book by the same title, is a GableStage production whose run at the Biltmore has been extended until Feb. 6.

Gless plays Jane Juska, who places a personal ad in the New York Review of Books. Jane quickly finds herself on a rollercoaster ride of emotional and sexual growth. Gless shares the stage with five South Florida actors who play multiple roles.

Although it may seem particularly challenging for the actors to frequently change costumes and then get into character in little time, it did not seem to hamper their talent. Each actor was brilliant in every aspect of their performances.

Gless was fantastic and sexy. She breaks stereotypes about older women seeking sex right from the first scene when she is in bed having phone sex. As she explains to her lover that she is all alone and that she would never do such things with an audience, she suddenly notices the audience, hangs up and starts talking.

Jane’s journey introduces her to men who help her realize what she truly wants in life. The play is about one woman’s search for happiness, and in order to find that happiness, Jane must fix many things in her life, including her relationship with her son.

“A Round-Heeled Woman” is a must-seefor people who enjoy great acting in a relatable story, after all, who doesn’t want happiness?

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com.

If You Go

What: “A Round-Heeled Woman”

Where: GableStage at the Biltmore

1200 Anastasia Ave.

Coral Gables, Fla.

When: Thursday – Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. For additional performances, visit gablestage.org.

Cost: Tickets range from $37.50 to $47.50.

Rosa Orihuela

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...