Basketball, Sports

Another loss keeps Canes in the cellar

Junior center Julian Gamble (left) looks for a way around Terrell Bell. Courtesy Austen Meredith

The drought and heartbreaks continue.

For the fourth straight game, Miami suffered the same result but in a different city, as the Hurricanes lost to the Virginia Tech Hokies, 72-68.

With another gut-wrenching loss, the Canes’ (12-9) fell to last place in the ACC with a 1-6 record.

The Hurricanes have been in games but have not closed the deal. Miami’s last four losses have been by a total of 11 points and have come down to the final possession.

“The way we lose these games, it comes down the last possession,” head coach Frank Haith said. “It’s mind-boggling. I never experienced this. I thought we competed; we played hard. These type of games come down to who makes the shots and who doesn’t.”

Miami had two shots to take the lead in the final minute when redshirt senior forward Adrian Thomas had a three-point look from the right corner and missed it.

Redshirt sophomore forward Reggie Johnson got a rebound and kicked it back to Thomas at the right wing for another look and the ball did not fall.

Miami got the ball one more time but sophomore forward Garrius Adams took a three-point attempt with three seconds remaining and was off the mark. The Hokies (14-6, 4-3) walked away victorious.

Adams was knocking down three-pointers down the stretch and finished with 11 points, all in the second half.

“We thought Garrius had the best chance,” Haith said about the final possession. “It was a good look. It was good execution. It just didn’t go in.”

Miami is stuck on the road woes as the Hurricanes have lost 13 straight road ACC games. The last time Miami won an ACC road game was on Feb. 26, 2009 against Virginia, 62-55, and Jack McClinton was on the team.

Miami’s big, with three guards, Johnson, Malcolm Grant and Durand Scott. They have kept Miami in the game.

Scott finished with 21 points and five assists while Grant added 14 points. Johnson struggled on offense, but had 10 rebounds as the Hurricanes out-rebounded the Hokies.

Miami had to dig out a 10-point hole. The Hurricanes were keeping up with the Hokies until they hit a cold spell in the first half and didn’t have a field goal attempt for more than six minutes, and trailed at halftime, 40-30.

The Hokies were nailing three-pointers, especially toward the end of the shot clock. Virginia Tech was averaging five three-pointers per game and knocked down eight three-pointers, six in the first half.

“We’re going to get better,” Haith said. “We’ve got to continue believing in what we are doing.”

Miami will return home to face Georgia Tech Thursday evening at 7:00 p.m.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Upcoming Men’s home basketball games

Thursday Georgia Tech at 7 p.m.

Saturday Virginia at

2 p.m.

FEB. 13 Duke at 6:45 p.m.

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...