Crash closes metro

A section of the MetroRail was shut down Friday morning as a precautionary measure after a dumpster truck crashed into one of the columns that support the track.

The truck was carrying waste bins when it hit the column on Stanford Drive between U.S. 1 and Ponce De Leon Boulevard.

Transit officials shut down the southbound track between the Douglas Road and South Miami stations. Commuters were forced to leave the trains and use shuttles to travel between stations.

The trains and their passengers were all unharmed in the incident and the MetroRail has since reopened.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Click on an author to edit. Click on “Delete” to remove them.

Podcast Episode

Auto detect file size
Specify:
in bytes

Auto detect duration (mp3’s only)
Specify:
:
:
HH:MM:SS
Not specified

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...