UM responds to Abruzzo

Institutional and Community Serviceman Amedeo Pomenti, Guido D’Urbano, UM professor Dr. Manuel Garcia-Rossi, and Giovanna Di Lello discuss government policy, the destruction from the earthquake, University of L’Aquila and UM relations. L'Aquila is the capitol of Abruzzo, Italy which was hit hardest by the earthquake of 2009. Courtesy Alanna Zunski.

During the winter intersession, 10 students studying intermediate Italian traveled to the region of Abruzzo, Italy to meet government officials and act as ambassadors for the University of Miami.

In 2009, the Abruzzo region experienced a devastating earthquake. The earthquake wrought destruction, left more than 300 people dead and many others injured or homeless. Before the earthquake, UM offered a study abroad program in the region at the University of L’Aquila.

“This trip to Abruzzo was a perfect opportunity for our Italian students to see first-hand the diverse cultures and people found within the beautiful country of Italy,” said Dr. Manuel Garcia-Rossi, UM Italian professor.

Because of their relationship with UM, the University of L’Aquila called on the Miami community for help after the earthquake. Many L’Aquila students were left with no place to live or attend school after the disaster. UM took in many of the L’Aquila students free of charge, allowed them to continue their studies and provided classes for them to learn English.

In return for their help the government gave 10 UM students the opportunity to visit the Abruzzo region for free to learn about the culture and see the damage caused by the earthquake.

“My classmates and I were stunned by the level of damage from the earthquake,” junior Elizabeth Tauben said. “We didn’t realize the magnitude of the destruction until seeing it in person. It was overwhelmingly sad.”

In Abruzzo, UM students were able to improve their Italian by immersing themselves in the culture of a region nearly undiscovered by foreign tourists.

“The trip inspired me to expand my knowledge of Italian foreign policy and government as well as my knowledge of the language,” Tauben said.

Garcia-Rossi hopes that another group of Italian students will experience the Italian region in the future because the trip “brought to life what was learned in their textbooks.”

Alanna Zunski may be contacted at azunski@themiamihurricane.com.

Alanna Zunski

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...