News briefs 1/27

Collegetown Lecture Series

The University of Miami and the City of Coral Gables will present the first lecture of the Collegetown Faculty Lecture Series on Feb. 3 at 6:30 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium.

The lecture, titled Health Care Reform: An Idea Whose Time has Come, will be presented by UM President Donna E. Shalala and is open to the public as part of a development agreement between the city and UM. To RSVP, call 305-284-3356 or e-mail provost@miami.edu.

UM Students accepted to CGIU

Ashley Matthews and Brian Moschetti were accepted to the 2011 Clinton Global Initiative University (CGIU), which will be taking place at the University of California.

CGIU is a free conference for undergraduates and graduates hosted by former President Bill Clinton. The program requires applicants to create a Commitment to Action, a pledge to take some specific action to improve the world. The 2010 CGIU conferences took place at UM last year. To attend, applications can be found at cgiu.org and the deadline is Feb. 7.

Philanthropic Dance Marathon

The UM Dance Marathon, a philanthropic event aimed at raising money for Miami’s Children Hospital, is on Sunday and will begin at 11 a.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. To register or to donate to the cause, visit helpmakemiracles.org/event/umdm.

Northern Trust 2011 Lecture

Northern Trust and the University of Miami present the Northern Trust 2011 Lecture titled Testing the Limits of Education Reform featuring former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Education Diane Ravitch. The event will take place Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Ravitch worked under President George H.W. Bush and recently published a book titled “The Death and Life of the Great American School System.”

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...