News briefs 1/27

Collegetown Lecture Series

The University of Miami and the City of Coral Gables will present the first lecture of the Collegetown Faculty Lecture Series on Feb. 3 at 6:30 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium.

The lecture, titled Health Care Reform: An Idea Whose Time has Come, will be presented by UM President Donna E. Shalala and is open to the public as part of a development agreement between the city and UM. To RSVP, call 305-284-3356 or e-mail provost@miami.edu.

UM Students accepted to CGIU

Ashley Matthews and Brian Moschetti were accepted to the 2011 Clinton Global Initiative University (CGIU), which will be taking place at the University of California.

CGIU is a free conference for undergraduates and graduates hosted by former President Bill Clinton. The program requires applicants to create a Commitment to Action, a pledge to take some specific action to improve the world. The 2010 CGIU conferences took place at UM last year. To attend, applications can be found at cgiu.org and the deadline is Feb. 7.

Philanthropic Dance Marathon

The UM Dance Marathon, a philanthropic event aimed at raising money for Miami’s Children Hospital, is on Sunday and will begin at 11 a.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. To register or to donate to the cause, visit helpmakemiracles.org/event/umdm.

Northern Trust 2011 Lecture

Northern Trust and the University of Miami present the Northern Trust 2011 Lecture titled Testing the Limits of Education Reform featuring former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Education Diane Ravitch. The event will take place Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Ravitch worked under President George H.W. Bush and recently published a book titled “The Death and Life of the Great American School System.”

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...