Basketball, Sports

Win streak ends at FSU

The Hurricane women’s basketball team went to Tallahassee on Monday riding high on a 17-game winning streak. Florida State, however, sent them crashing back down to earth.

Shenise Johnson scored 21 points and Riquna Williams added 18 for Miami, but it wasn’t enough  because the Hurricanes (18-2, 4-1 ACC) lost for only the second time this season, falling to the Seminoles 66-59.

Florida State (16-4, 4-1 ACC) was able to secure the win despite turning the ball over 29 times. Natasha Howard and Alexa Deluzio scored 12 points apiece for the Seminoles, who out-rebounded the Hurricanes 47-28.

The first half went back and forth between both teams, as there were nine lead changes and a 34-34 tie heading into halftime. The Seminoles came into the second half strong, however, scoring 16 of the next 20 points to blow the game open.

The Hurricanes were limited to a 30.2 field goal percentage in the game, while Florida State was able to convert on 48.9 percent of their shots. Williams, who has led the ACC in scoring throughout much of the season, made only 1 of 14 shots in the second half.

“Unfortunately I think we let our offensive performance dictate our entire mood, our entire emotional approach to the game,” head coach Katie Meier said after the game. “It’s really the first time this year that we’ve been reactive to the offense not clicking, and that’s all the credit to Florida State.”

The Canes did go on an 11-3 run to put them within three in the final minute, but the Noles were able to hold on to the win with five combined free throws by Courtney Ward and Cierra Bravard.

The Hurricanes head back home for a weekend homestand beginning Thursday at 7 p.m. against the NC State Wolfpack (9-10, 1-4 ACC), who on Sunday played well against No. 3 Duke before blowing a 20-point lead and losing 65-64. Miami will then play Georgia Tech on Sunday at 3 p.m. before traveling to Durham, N.C. for their test against the Blue Devils.

Every game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on the Web at wvum.org.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Win streak ends at FSU”

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...