Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 1/27

Football

The number of former Hurricanes participating in this year’s Pro Bowl is now at 10, with the addition of Jon Beason. UM now has half of the ACC’s total participants, more than the entire Big 12 (7), Pac 10 (7) and Big East (4). This is the second consecutive year that Miami has had double-digit representation. Last season, 11 Canes participated in the Pro Bowl. At least five Miami players have been elected to participate nine times since 1999. The Pro Bowl takes place on Jan. 30 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Baseball

The Hurricane baseball team is set to kick off their first day of spring training Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Alex Rodriguez Park. The team is ranked No. 18 in the country in preseason polls. The Canes begin their season on Feb.18 against Rutgers University.

Broadcasting

Senior broadcasting major Justin Antweil has been named to the 2011 Jim Nantz Award watch list. The award recognizes the most outstanding collegiate radio sportscasters in the country. The award winner will be announced May 16 in Salisbury, N.C.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...