Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 1/27

Football

The number of former Hurricanes participating in this year’s Pro Bowl is now at 10, with the addition of Jon Beason. UM now has half of the ACC’s total participants, more than the entire Big 12 (7), Pac 10 (7) and Big East (4). This is the second consecutive year that Miami has had double-digit representation. Last season, 11 Canes participated in the Pro Bowl. At least five Miami players have been elected to participate nine times since 1999. The Pro Bowl takes place on Jan. 30 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Baseball

The Hurricane baseball team is set to kick off their first day of spring training Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Alex Rodriguez Park. The team is ranked No. 18 in the country in preseason polls. The Canes begin their season on Feb.18 against Rutgers University.

Broadcasting

Senior broadcasting major Justin Antweil has been named to the 2011 Jim Nantz Award watch list. The award recognizes the most outstanding collegiate radio sportscasters in the country. The award winner will be announced May 16 in Salisbury, N.C.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...