Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 1/27

Football

The number of former Hurricanes participating in this year’s Pro Bowl is now at 10, with the addition of Jon Beason. UM now has half of the ACC’s total participants, more than the entire Big 12 (7), Pac 10 (7) and Big East (4). This is the second consecutive year that Miami has had double-digit representation. Last season, 11 Canes participated in the Pro Bowl. At least five Miami players have been elected to participate nine times since 1999. The Pro Bowl takes place on Jan. 30 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Baseball

The Hurricane baseball team is set to kick off their first day of spring training Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Alex Rodriguez Park. The team is ranked No. 18 in the country in preseason polls. The Canes begin their season on Feb.18 against Rutgers University.

Broadcasting

Senior broadcasting major Justin Antweil has been named to the 2011 Jim Nantz Award watch list. The award recognizes the most outstanding collegiate radio sportscasters in the country. The award winner will be announced May 16 in Salisbury, N.C.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...