Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sports briefs 1/27

Football

The number of former Hurricanes participating in this year’s Pro Bowl is now at 10, with the addition of Jon Beason. UM now has half of the ACC’s total participants, more than the entire Big 12 (7), Pac 10 (7) and Big East (4). This is the second consecutive year that Miami has had double-digit representation. Last season, 11 Canes participated in the Pro Bowl. At least five Miami players have been elected to participate nine times since 1999. The Pro Bowl takes place on Jan. 30 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Baseball

The Hurricane baseball team is set to kick off their first day of spring training Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Alex Rodriguez Park. The team is ranked No. 18 in the country in preseason polls. The Canes begin their season on Feb.18 against Rutgers University.

Broadcasting

Senior broadcasting major Justin Antweil has been named to the 2011 Jim Nantz Award watch list. The award recognizes the most outstanding collegiate radio sportscasters in the country. The award winner will be announced May 16 in Salisbury, N.C.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...