Recycled art leaves a mark on Gables

A snail located on Cartagena Circle. Adrianne D'Angelo//Co-Photo Editor

No, you’re not just seeing things. Eight-foot tall, bright pink snails have been spotted all across Coral Gables.
The snails have been scattered throughout downtown Coral Gables for two months and can be seen in unexpected places including the front of City Hall, at Merrick Park and in front of the Coral Gables Library.
The giant snails were first introduced by the Cracking Art Group at Art Basel in December. One of the group’s goals was to make artwork accessible to the public.
Sophomore Heather Capps felt that the snails were a departure from the typical artwork shown at the festival.
“I think they are cool because so many things at Art Basel are not interactive,” she said. “The snails are a type of art you can touch.”
However, some of the interactions by Miami Beach residents were not what the creators had in mind. Multiple snails were tagged with graffiti, and one was even stolen and relocated to Biscayne Bay. The mistreatment of the snails in Miami Beach prompted Galleria Ca d’Oro, the gallery that sponsored the artwork, to move the pieces of art to Coral Gables.
Though the gallery did not appreciate the snail vandalism, sophomore Kristen Soller had a different view.
“I don’t think the graffiti is necessarily a bad thing,” she said. “It’s some form of interaction, which is better than ignoring it. For art, any kind of publicity is good publicity.”
In addition to promoting this accessibility to art, the Cracking Art Group intended the snails, which are made of recycled plastic, to promote recycling and conservation. However, Capps felt that the topic of conservation would rarely be addressed.
“If you’re not in the know, the recycled part doesn’t come across,” she said. “Tourists especially will not understand.”
Though the snails may not inspire residents to recycle, their move to Coral Gables is definitely a topic of conversation.
“Because of the size of the snails, how can you ignore them?” Soller said. “They’re quirky.”
Once the exhibit ends, the majority of the snails will become the property of an art collector. However, one of the colorful snails will live out its life at the Miami Children’s Museum due to a donation by Galleria Ca’ d’Oro.
“They seem to be cute public statuary,” UM art professor Darby Bannard said. “They’re fun, if you can stand the color.”

Kylie Banks may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...