Recycled art leaves a mark on Gables

A snail located on Cartagena Circle. Adrianne D'Angelo//Co-Photo Editor

No, you’re not just seeing things. Eight-foot tall, bright pink snails have been spotted all across Coral Gables.
The snails have been scattered throughout downtown Coral Gables for two months and can be seen in unexpected places including the front of City Hall, at Merrick Park and in front of the Coral Gables Library.
The giant snails were first introduced by the Cracking Art Group at Art Basel in December. One of the group’s goals was to make artwork accessible to the public.
Sophomore Heather Capps felt that the snails were a departure from the typical artwork shown at the festival.
“I think they are cool because so many things at Art Basel are not interactive,” she said. “The snails are a type of art you can touch.”
However, some of the interactions by Miami Beach residents were not what the creators had in mind. Multiple snails were tagged with graffiti, and one was even stolen and relocated to Biscayne Bay. The mistreatment of the snails in Miami Beach prompted Galleria Ca d’Oro, the gallery that sponsored the artwork, to move the pieces of art to Coral Gables.
Though the gallery did not appreciate the snail vandalism, sophomore Kristen Soller had a different view.
“I don’t think the graffiti is necessarily a bad thing,” she said. “It’s some form of interaction, which is better than ignoring it. For art, any kind of publicity is good publicity.”
In addition to promoting this accessibility to art, the Cracking Art Group intended the snails, which are made of recycled plastic, to promote recycling and conservation. However, Capps felt that the topic of conservation would rarely be addressed.
“If you’re not in the know, the recycled part doesn’t come across,” she said. “Tourists especially will not understand.”
Though the snails may not inspire residents to recycle, their move to Coral Gables is definitely a topic of conversation.
“Because of the size of the snails, how can you ignore them?” Soller said. “They’re quirky.”
Once the exhibit ends, the majority of the snails will become the property of an art collector. However, one of the colorful snails will live out its life at the Miami Children’s Museum due to a donation by Galleria Ca’ d’Oro.
“They seem to be cute public statuary,” UM art professor Darby Bannard said. “They’re fun, if you can stand the color.”

Kylie Banks may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Recycled art leaves a mark on Gables”

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...