OMG! Burgers proves boring

Stefanie Gato and fellow servers at OMG! Burgers prepare for the midday rush on Jan. 23. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

The only aspects that set OMG! Burgers apart from other fast food joints in the area are its French fries and good service.

The restaurant recently replaced Qdoba Mexican Grill on Sunset Drive and certainly does nothing to elicit its namesake phrase (oh my gosh). Upon first glance, OMG! Burgers’ menu is strikingly similar to that of Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Patrons have the option of ordering a junior burger or cheeseburger with a single hamburger patty, a regular burger with two patties or an OMG! burger, which unsurprisingly features three patties. Like Five Guys, you can choose from an array of free toppings, ranging from A1 Steak Sauce to ketchup.

In addition to regular cheeseburgers, OMG! Burgers offers a melted cheddar burger, which I thought would be an interesting option. Upon unwrapping my burger I was disappointed to find that the “melted” cheddar’s consistency was akin to the variety pumped from a vat onto nachos. It tasted OK but I would never order it again.

Let down a bit from the “nacho-cheeseburger,” I then sampled my order of fries. They were amazing and reminiscent of French fries from California fast food all-star In-N-Out Burger. The fries were thin-cut, well-seasoned (although they had just a touch too much salt) and had the perfect amount of crunch. Though they were certainly tasty, you don’t get much for your money. A welcome surprise, OMG! Burgers cooks their food to order and employees personally deliver your food to your table with a smile, even if it’s a to-go order. As a whole, OMG! Burgers is mediocre. They have undeniably good service, but need to improve the taste and quality of their burgers.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: OMG! Burgers

Where: 5748 Sunset Dr. (behind Sunset Place mall)

When: Sunday-Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-midnight; Friday-Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-2 a.m.

Cost: Burgers $3-6, fries $2.19

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...