Movie review: No Strings Attached

Courtesy Paramount Pictures

Genuine performances by Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman make “No Strings Attached” better than your average romantic comedy. The at-times crude humor, along with the focus on friends trying to sustain a sex-only relationship, helps the film go beyond the chick-flick genre.

It seems as though lately Hollywood is cranking out films centered on friends with benefits, but burdening them with ludicrous complications. The most recent product, “Love and Other Drugs” with Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway, dealt with Parkinson’s disease and had an awful ending. However, “No Strings Attached” keeps the audience laughing throughout its duration without throwing in ridiculous curveballs… except for Ludacris playing one of Kutcher’s best friends.

Portman plays Emma Kurtzman, a doctor who avoids relationships — and any emotion at all for that matter — at all costs. Adam Franklin, Kutcher’s character, aspires to be a writer for the television series he works for (imagine “Glee” and “High School Musical” meshed together). Despite his parents’ divorce and the fact that his father dates his ex-girlfriends, he is more open to love than Emma is.

At first, it seems the two don’t have much in common except for wanting a relationship based on casual sex. Nevertheless, as the movie progresses, the two start to fall for each other against Emma’s wishes.

Although you could probably guess the movie’s ending just by watching the trailer, “No Strings Attached” is the perfect balance of romance and comedy making it worth the $10.50 for a movie ticket. Plus, who doesn’t want to stare at Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman for two hours?

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Natalie Portman

Directed By: Ivan Reitman

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...