Movie review: No Strings Attached

Courtesy Paramount Pictures

Genuine performances by Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman make “No Strings Attached” better than your average romantic comedy. The at-times crude humor, along with the focus on friends trying to sustain a sex-only relationship, helps the film go beyond the chick-flick genre.

It seems as though lately Hollywood is cranking out films centered on friends with benefits, but burdening them with ludicrous complications. The most recent product, “Love and Other Drugs” with Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway, dealt with Parkinson’s disease and had an awful ending. However, “No Strings Attached” keeps the audience laughing throughout its duration without throwing in ridiculous curveballs… except for Ludacris playing one of Kutcher’s best friends.

Portman plays Emma Kurtzman, a doctor who avoids relationships — and any emotion at all for that matter — at all costs. Adam Franklin, Kutcher’s character, aspires to be a writer for the television series he works for (imagine “Glee” and “High School Musical” meshed together). Despite his parents’ divorce and the fact that his father dates his ex-girlfriends, he is more open to love than Emma is.

At first, it seems the two don’t have much in common except for wanting a relationship based on casual sex. Nevertheless, as the movie progresses, the two start to fall for each other against Emma’s wishes.

Although you could probably guess the movie’s ending just by watching the trailer, “No Strings Attached” is the perfect balance of romance and comedy making it worth the $10.50 for a movie ticket. Plus, who doesn’t want to stare at Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman for two hours?

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Natalie Portman

Directed By: Ivan Reitman

MPAA Rating: R

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...