Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes look to keep win streak intact against Florida State

The Florida State Seminoles have had their way with Hurricanes athletic programs over the past few months. However, they have not yet figured out Katie Meier’s crew.

The women’s basketball team is back in action tonight in Tallahassee to take on the Seminoles after more than a week since their last game. The Canes are looking to keep up their momentum following a 2-0 home stand that included wins against Clemson and Boston College.

As a team, the Canes are on a hot streak that is amongst the best in the country. Their 17-game winning streak is second only to No.3 Duke, who has started the season 18-0.

Offensively, juniors Riquna Williams and Shenise Johnson continue to lead the way for the team, averaging 20.9 and 19.1 points per game, respectively. However, it is their defensive play that has kept the streak alive.

Whereas most teams around the nation have at least one true center to rely on, Miami currently lacks that dominating presence on the court. Instead, they will rely on their full-court press, a fast-paced, relentless style of defense to frustrate the Seminoles into turning the ball over.

That quick, hustling play style has led the team to a NCAA best 15.6 steals per game, with seven players averaging at least one per game. While they are attacking and working to get the ball back defensively, they are also making sure not to give it up very often when they have their hands on it. They average 30.2 points off turnovers, and give up just 12.2.

The Seminoles have proven that they are a team to be reckoned with as well. Ranked No.16 in the ESPN/Coaches Poll, the Noles have won six of seven heading into Monday night’s matchup, with the only hiccup in that stretch coming against Duke.

For the Noles, Courtney Ward leads the charge, who are coming off of a 83-73 win over Clemson. In addition to a lot of talent across their roster, they also have a size advantage on the Canes, with five players listed at 6’0” and taller.

Last year, the Hurricanes were able to upset the then No.11 Seminoles at the BankUnited Center, 78-70, before losing to FSU in Tallahassee in the last road game of the regular season. This time around, the Canes are looking to keep their ACC road winning streak perfect.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor