Sports briefs 1/20

Track and Field

The track and field team began the 2011 indoor season at the Clemson Challenge last Saturday. The women’s team swept the 400m dash. Tameka Jameson, the reigning ACC outdoor champion in the 400m dash, took first. For the men, Devon Hill placed first in the 60m hurdles, only .01 of a second away from the school record he set last season in his ACC title heat. The next meet is the McCravey Memorial Track and Field meet at the University of Kentucky Jan. 28-29.

Swimming and Diving
In their first competition in over a month, the Hurricane swimming and diving team (6-1) defeated FIU and Central Connecticut State on Saturday, winning 10 events. The team will conclude the 2010-2011 season this Friday, hosting FAU at the UC pool at 3 p.m.

Volleyball
Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch has announced that Barbara Blair Fuentez has signed to play for the Canes. Fuentez helped her Ridgewood (NJ) high school team to the NJSIAA Group 4 North finals. A setter and a hitter, she helped her club team qualify for the Junior Olympics and is currently listed as a senior aces top 150 player nationally.

Compiled by Darci Miller, who may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...