SoC to discuss role of Haitian media

One effective way to help Haiti may be by just sitting down and having a conversation.

This Saturday, School of Communication community members will discuss the role media need to play in Haiti’s future in a conference co-hosted by the Voice of America, an international news service that has been working in Haiti.

“We’ve talked about the needs that have been present since the earthquake, but we haven’t really had a strong conversation about what it’s going to be like to rebuild,” said Ivette Yee, communications manager for the School of Communication.

At the conference, journalism professors Yves Colon, Sallie Hughes and Tsitsi Wakhisi will present the research they have accumulated over the past two years on the use of Haitian media in Haiti and in Miami. According to Colon, journalists need to take a more proactive stance in implementing change.

“Haitian media need to educate, not just show the country’s frailties, but focus on development,” he said.
Aside from discussing media in Haiti, Saturday’s conference will feature the U.S. ambassador to Haiti and the Haitian ambassador to the U.S. Discussions will include topics such as reconstruction, politics and the media.

The school’s Koze Ayiti will be covering the conference for the group’s multimedia Web site.

Koze Ayiti, which stands for “Conversation Haiti” in Creole, is a community-building organization that connects Haitians with Haitian-Americans in Miami and focuses on allowing Haitians to create an educated society by giving them the opportunity to make their own news.

“The most important thing is to allow Haitians to tell stories in their own voices,” said Tod Landess, the staff adviser and project manager for Koze Ayiti.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...