News briefs

UMTV Pair In MTVU’s Oscar Correspondent Contest

UM seniors Scotty Braun and Alexandra Cotoulas are among the finalists for MTVU’s Oscar Correspondent Contest. The winners will be correspondents at the Oscars on Feb.27.  To vote for Braun and Cotoulas visit oscars.mtvu.com before Jan. 28.

US-Israeli Conference

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies and the Scholars for Peace in the Middle East hosted the “Fifty Years of the Special US-Israel Relationship (1962-2012): Walt-Mearsheimer in Perspective” conference from Jan. 16-18. The conference examined US-Israel relations over the past 50 years and the related issues facing college campuses today, and featured several speakers, including Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren and former U.S. Ambassador to Israel Samuel Lewis.

Red light camera fines

Effective Jan. 1, Miami drivers caught running a red light will automatically be fined $158. The city will not issue warnings as other cities have done, yet the fines will not increase for repeat offenders. The citations will not add points to drivers’ records, so insurance costs will be unaffected.

A city contractor and a police officer will review video clips and photographs from street cameras to issue the violations. Drivers will have the option of paying the citation and viewing the video and photos online. If the notice is not paid or appealed within 30 days, the offender will have to pay a larger fine that may include court fees. Cameras are installed at more than a dozen locations and intersections including Southwest 37th Avenue and South Dixie Highway, Southeast 26th Road and Brickell Avenue, and Northeast 36th Street and Biscayne Boulevard.

Recent UM Grad dies

Two 2010 UM graduates were involved in a fatal car accident, according to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon website.  Andrew Klausmeyer passed away as a result of injuries and Mike Rangel has been hospitalized due to his injuries.

Toppel hosting Reverse Career Fair

Toppel Career Center is hosting a Reverse Career Fair that invites student organizations to set up booths that will be visited by potential employers. The deadline for registration for organizations is Jan.24 and for participants Feb.7. Space is limited to 25 organizations and there will be prizes distributed for the best display. To register, visit https://miami-csm.symplicity.com/events/RCF2011.

Collegetown Faculty Lecture Series

The University of Miami and the City of Coral Gables present the first lecture in the Collegetown Faculty Lecture Series on Feb.3 at 6:30 in the Storer Auditorium. The lecture, titled Health Care Reform: An Idea Whose Time has Come” will be presented by UM President Donna Shalala and is open to the public. To RSVP, call 305-284-3356 or email provost@miami.edu.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...