New Year, no resolutions

I tend to take a very skeptical and cynical look at life. I have found that pessimism can make things easier than disappointing and unfulfilled optimism. Crucify me for saying it, but I honestly see no way that the government can be less corrupt nor that world peace can exist; I even see being alone for the rest of your life as welcoming, not as miserable.

Also, in the spirit of the season, I made no resolutions for the year 2011. I find the numbers illogical and unattractive to look at. However, here is my reasoning behind a no resolution year: Besides seeing resolutions as pointless, they bring disappointment and become a laughing matter at the end of the year.

For example, I had the resolution last year that I would not miss class and that I would make all As and Bs. Feasible for most, but not for me. I can work my butt off, but it usually comes down to how the professor wants to grade my essays on exams and how they feel about me as a person that result in whether I will get a B- or C+.

No, this year I want to be surprised. I want to take on the year and let it slap me in the face. I don’t want to look back at the end of the year and say, “Well, I haven’t changed and I definitely didn’t lose those love handles like I had intended.”

No, let this year, 2011, as terrible as it sounds, be the year that wows me and brings new experiences. Let opportunity knock and allow me to choose whether or not to take it, instead of trying to satisfy a resolution that says to take every new opportunity just because it is good to try new things. If I do not want to try something new, then why should I?

Plus, in every life experience I’ve had, the best moments are the ones that are spontaneous and unplanned. The best are the ones for which I’m not looking or pursuing simply because I promised myself to meet my resolution quota.

Therefore, call me a sour puss if you prefer, but upon reflection at the end of 2011, I hope to say that I did exactly what I did, not led by a senseless, inconsiderate New Year’s resolution.

Jenny Hamilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and sports administration. She may be contacted at
jhamilton@themiamihurricane.com.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...