Get Whisked away

The shrimp and Grits dish is praised by check and owner, Brendan Connor, as "the representation of the style of food we aim for at Whisk. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

Some say bigger is better, and in the case of Whisk Gourmet Food & Catering this rings true. The lucky ones who experienced their tiny location on Le Jeune are thrilled the owners made the move to a bigger space near Sunset. Once only a place to grab lunch or an early dinner on weekdays, Whisk now features expanded hours and is even serving up food on Saturdays. With these new changes, my roommate said, “We’re going to get so fat this semester!”
In a place where Arnold Palmers come in glass mason jars you can expect classic dishes done with culinary expertise. They offer daily specials that can be viewed online along with a more than satisfying standard menu that offers an array of appetizers, salads, sandwiches and entrees. Specialties include fried green tomatoes, pork lechon burritos and buttermilk-fried chicken atop organic spinach salad.
Frequenting Whisk, it’s hard to not be tempted to order the same dish every time. For me, the roasted turkey sandwich on grilled multigrain bread is hard to resist. Featuring fresh turkey stacked with Brie cheese, cranberry mayonnaise, vine ripened tomato and arugula, this is not the same turkey sandwich your mom used to make. On the side, you can order up their housemade potato chips dusted with parmesan and cracked black pepper. After sampling just a few of these, I knew I could never go back to crinkle-cut Lay’s again.
Other winners are the bacon-wrapped gorgonzola stuffed medjool dates, crispy chicken wings and savory skirt steak. Every Friday they have a burger special that is almost certain to sell-out by mid-afternoon. But never fear, you can call ahead in the morning to reserve one and trust me, it’s worth it.
If you’re not too full after all that, chef Brendan’s “famous” key lime pie is almost impossible to pass up. In a city where so many claim to have the “best pie in town,” Whisk might actually take home the prize. If key lime does not tickle your taste buds, they also have an array of freshly baked cookies, blondies and Misha’s cupcakes.
Even though they now boast more seating, you can still expect a wait at this location any time of day. We were lucky enough to be seated at a high-top table that let us peek into the kitchen and watch the busy chefs at work. I tried not to drool all over the table while awaiting my meal but sometimes, it is just unavoidable.
Cassandra Glenn may be contacted at cglenn@themiamihurricane.com.

Whisk Gourmet Food and Catering

Monday-Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Friday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Sunday Closed

786-268-8350

7382 SW 56th Avenue

South Miami, FL 33143

Cassie Glenn

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Get Whisked away”

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...