Film Review: “Made in Dagenham”

Courtesy Sony Pictures Classics

In 2008, American women made an average of 77 cents to every dollar earned by American men. As of 2011, the Equal Rights Amendment still has not been ratified by the required number of states. These sad but true facts make the reality of “Made in Dagenham” that much more unbelievable, and the film’s story all the more inspiring.

“Dagenham” details the 1968 strike by female machinists at Ford’s plant in Dagenham, England, over pay equity. The subject itself may be a bit dry, but the film is incredible, an emotionally compelling, fast-paced movie filled with 1960s nostalgia and notions of gender equity.

Sally Hawkins is outstanding as the machinists’ de facto leader, and she is supported by a brilliant group of British actors, including Rosamund Pike as an underestimated housewife and Bob Hoskins as a sympathetic supervisor. Miranda Richardson makes for a ferocious Secretary of State for employment, and special praise goes to Richard Schiff of “The West Wing,” whose presence onscreen has been sorely missed.

“Made in Dagenham” is not naïve or idealistic in the slightest. It shows the realities and implications of the women’s strike, an action that was, at the time, unprecedented. And its rousing ending makes the sad truth about modern pay equity all the more regrettable.

Above all, “Made in Dagenham” features a fantastic story and is an excellent film.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Starring: Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, Rosamund Pike

Directed By: Nigel Cole

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...