Back to Basics

It’s a new year, it’s a new decade, so why not make plans for a new you? Year after year we all make New Year’s resolutions that go undone, so why not resolve to set attainable goals this year, rather than drastic promises?
Make a list of priorities and resolutions and stick it in a visible spot in your dorm or on your refrigerator. The more you see the list, the more likely you are to stick to your resolutions and remind yourself of your 2011 goals. Success is simple once you use positive projection and envision yourself as successful.
Below are a few simple tips to make your New Year’s resolution-making a bit easier and get you back to basics this semester:
1. Making the gradeIt’s time to sharpen your pencils (and study skills) this semester and focus on what’s truly important- the new you. Are you sick of making that same promise to yourself year after year to get better grades and study harder? This year, force yourself to get all your reading done the night the professor assigns it (or at least over the weekend), and avoid putting off all your reading until last minute. This could allow you to study the material beforehand and gives you ample time to ask your professor any question that may have come up during your reading.

Also, be sure to take neat notes in class. Once you pay attention and process all the information the professor is lecturing on the topic, your study time will be reduced by more than half. After class each day, be sure to review your notes and fill in with any material you remember from that day.

Above all, keep yourself organized and be sure to manage your time wisely. If you plan to study beforehand rather than put off all your studying to the last minute, you’ll surely shrink your stress and magnify your GPA.

2. Losing weight and getting in shapeStill combating those freshman 15? Spring break is months away and you have more than enough time to get yourself in decent shape for beachwear.

According to professional trainers, staying in shape is 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. Rather than going to the food court, pack your lunch at home. For a snack, have a handful of almonds. Rather than reaching for an ICEE, drink lots of water and stay hydrated. And hit the gym.

3. Saving moneyThe recession is still hitting hard, so try these tips to help ease its effects on your wallet. Try packing your own lunch as often as possible. This will save you about $25 per week. Ride your bike or walk when traveling short distances.

When it comes to buying school supplies this semester, keep in mind that renting textbooks is a feasible, much cheaper option and will surely save you a decent amount of money.

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Back to Basics”

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...