Aid for Haiti continues a year later

Minnie Maass, a recent Biology graduate, shares a meaningful moment with Sonson, 4, a young boy from Port-au-Prince, Haiti in February of 2010. Maass worked along side Dr. Barth Green, the head of neurosurgery at UM and the spearhead of Project Medishare, for a month in Haiti. UM has been providing major health care for the last year nad continues leading in treatment of colera outbreak in Haiti. Maass hopes to stay in Miami to continue working with Project Medishare. Courtesy Minnie Maass.

After one year, the University of Miami has not forgotten its commitment to rebuilding Haiti.

In the midst of political instability, health epidemics and a crumbling city structure, Haiti is still reeling from the effects of the 2010 earthquake that affected the country’s capital, Port-au-Prince, as well as the cities of Leogane and Jacmel.

Students, faculty and staff all over campus are making important contributions, from the department of geological sciences studying the movement of tectonic plates to the Miller School of Medicine organizing health centers in Haiti.

As the first from UM to react to the disaster in Haiti, the Miller School of Medicine continues to be one of the biggest sources of aid by helping Haiti’s ill or wounded through Project Medishare. Project Medishare consists of a team of faculty from the UM schools of medicine and nursing who have treated more than 75,000 patients since the earthquake, providing the country with its only CAT scan, critical care center, pedriatic and neonatal intensive care unit, and spinal cord injury unit.

“It is the link between international health in the Caribbean to this campus,” said Dr. Enrique Ginzburg, a UM professor of surgery and a member of Project Medishare. “It has given me more purpose and direction as a physician, provided me expertise and experience in international health care.”

Support from other areas of the school abounds.

History professor Dr. Kate Ramsey, for instance, has been involved in circulating news through the Haiti Research Group listserv. Dr. Louis Herns Marcelin from the department of anthropology is greatly involved in education and research through the Port-au-Prince-based Interuniversity Institute for Research and Development (INURED). Furthermore, professors like Dr. Guerda Nicolas in the School of Education have participated in discussions covering higher education and mental health among earthquake victims.

But despite the variety of efforts made by members of the UM community, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.

“It seems like everything is just slow down there. It might take 10-15 years for Haiti to be back, for the old Haiti to be back,” said senior Melissa Chamblain, president of the Haitian Student Organization (HSO). “It’s a year after and you’re seeing the dead corpses still under the rubble.”

Chamblain was in Port-au-Prince last year on vacation for winter break when the earthquake occurred.

“It was a strange experience for me,” she said. “I was just there to have fun and the earthquake just came out of nowhere.”

After her experience, she has lead HSO in a number of community service and cultural awareness events to raise funds for Haiti. The group is also planning a community outreach program by hosting weekly college workshops with elementary school students in Miami that recently arrived from Haiti.

Junior Arielle Duperval, the HSO events chair, was also in Haiti during the earthquake. She visited the country again in October and agrees that there is still a long road to improvement.

“Everything seemed almost the way I had left it, without the bodies and the injuries. The buildings were still collapsed, very little has been done to clear the wreckage and rebuild,” she said. “The most important way to contribute is to lend a physical hand, if that isn’t possible, to assist those who are able to go places some people can’t or won’t go.”

Aside from repairing physical wreckage and tending to the sick or injured, Haiti needs to rebuild a solid infrastructure for development. According to Dr. Pierre-Michel Fontaine, an international studies professor at UM, this means making the Haitian government accountable for its people, regulating building codes, reforestation, reestablishing a defense force and, most of all, prioritizing ending illiteracy.

“The country needs to be reborn rather than being reconstructed,” Fontaine said. “We need to go back to the 1960s, before Haiti started collapsing, to be able to move forward.”

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Haiti: One Year Later

What: A free discussion on rebuilding Haiti. Speakers include the U.S. ambassador to Haiti and the Haitian ambassador to the U.S
When: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday
where: Studio C of the SoC

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...