Football, Sports

Canes falter at Sun Bowl, lose 33-17

It was supposed to be a meeting between old rivals, two programs that had fallen on rough times looking to gain some momentum heading into next season.

Apparently Miami never got the memo.

In the first meeting in 20 years between Miami and Notre Dame, the Hurricanes struggled out of the gate, throwing four first-half interceptions en route to a 33-17 loss at the Hyundai Sun Bowl that wasn’t even that close.

Jacory Harris, who was named the starter on Thursday, only lasted into the second quarter after having another rough outing, only completing four passes, while throwing three right into the hands of Notre Dame defenders.

Freshman Stephen Morris checked into the game with 11:13 left in the first half, but the Hurricanes struggled to score in the first half, with the only points coming on a Matt Bosher field goal as time expired to end the half trailing 27-3.

After failing to score in the third quarter, Morris did throw two touchdown passes in the fourth, including a 42 yard bomb to Tommy Streeter, who had not seen much playing time in his three years with the program. It was too little, too late at that point however, as the Irish were able to convert a field goal in the final minute to put the game away.

For the Hurricanes, it was a brutal display of the problems that had plagued them throughout the season. Interceptions, early penalties, missed reads and missed tackles allowed Notre Dame to take command and never look back. The interceptions led to quick scores, so the Canes were never able to establish a run game, having to pass to try and keep up.

The loss puts Miami at 7-6, which included a three-game losing streak to end the season. The Hurricanes have yet to win a bowl game since 2006, before former head coach Randy Shannon inherited the program.

As new coach Al Golden prepares to take the reigns of the football program, he heads into the new year with several questions about this team. Not only does he have to establish who his staff will be (former WR coach Aubrey Hill announced his decision to take the same position at the University of Florida), but also try and convince recruits to come down to Miami while rebuilding the defense as well.

Fans can only hope that Golden can bring the program back into “national relevance.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...