Another pedestrian death

Taylor William Emmons, a sophomore at the University of Miami, died early Sunday morning as the result of a pedestrian crash.

Emmons, a 19-year-old from Sarasota, Florida, was a majoring in Entrepreneurship in the School of Business Administration. He was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.

“We are devastated by the loss of Taylor Emmons, our brother and our dear friend. All of our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this tremendously difficult time,” said Andy Firestone, Sigma Chi president, in a UM statement.

At 1:02 a.m. Sunday, Mary Suzanne Jean, who was driving a silver Toyota Four Runner hit Emmons as she was traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive. Emmons sustained critical injuries and was transported to Doctor’s Hospital where he died.

Emmons walked into the path of the Toyota Four Runner, said Kelly Denham, Coral Gables Police officer. The department is awaiting the toxicology reports on Emmons. The crash is under further investigation and no charges have been made at this time.

Emmons is the second UM student to die from a pedestrian crash this semester. His death is less than a month after junior Jared Paul Jones was struck by a 2004 silver Hyundai and died from his injuries.

Lindsay Brown

News Editor

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...