Another pedestrian death

Taylor William Emmons, a sophomore at the University of Miami, died early Sunday morning as the result of a pedestrian crash.

Emmons, a 19-year-old from Sarasota, Florida, was a majoring in Entrepreneurship in the School of Business Administration. He was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.

“We are devastated by the loss of Taylor Emmons, our brother and our dear friend. All of our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this tremendously difficult time,” said Andy Firestone, Sigma Chi president, in a UM statement.

At 1:02 a.m. Sunday, Mary Suzanne Jean, who was driving a silver Toyota Four Runner hit Emmons as she was traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive. Emmons sustained critical injuries and was transported to Doctor’s Hospital where he died.

Emmons walked into the path of the Toyota Four Runner, said Kelly Denham, Coral Gables Police officer. The department is awaiting the toxicology reports on Emmons. The crash is under further investigation and no charges have been made at this time.

Emmons is the second UM student to die from a pedestrian crash this semester. His death is less than a month after junior Jared Paul Jones was struck by a 2004 silver Hyundai and died from his injuries.

Lindsay Brown

News Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...