YOUniversity of Miami: Finals

With this first semester winding down, the dreaded finals week is drawing closer, and we all know what that means: It means hour after hour in the frigid recycled air of Richter library, late nights of typing review guides and final papers and enough caffeine in your veins to have your blood legally qualify as a type of coffee.

The last few days of studying each semester are never fun, but they are arguably the most important. After months and months of having to put time and effort into each class, it’s worth it to end strongly and give your GPA that little boost. There are tips and tricks that you pick up over the years at the U, and learning them early can save you a great deal of frustration.

Finding a good place to study is key, and luckily our fine school gives us a wide variety of options. The library is a tried-and-true location with study space on the first two levels, the “stacks,” silent areas, computer stations and printers galore. However, it can turn into a zoo during peak studying hours, leaving a scarcity of seats and computers and, more often than not, people sitting close enough for you to smell what they had for breakfast.

But never fret, there are other places! The hammocks by the green are prime but very fought over. Hillel, on the other hand, not only provides space, but regularly puts out tasty snacks. Lastly, anywhere outside is a great place to lay down with a towel and a book for a few hours.

The ability to take a break while avoiding procrastinating is a valuable skill, one that I’m still trying to learn. It’s better to take a short break, allowing yourself to get food and stretch your legs, rather than getting sucked into a Madden tournament or getting bombed at the Rat. And I’m sure everyone can relate with the fact that five minutes on Facebook can turn into an hour in the blink of an eye.

Finals are a stressful time, but they don’t have to leave you pulling out your hair and planning to move to Mexico. Just plan out a schedule in these final few days of the semester, and before you know it, you’ll be putting down the pencil and turning in your final exam, ready to go enjoy a well-deserved winter break!

Evan Peskin may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...