YOUniversity of Miami: Finals

With this first semester winding down, the dreaded finals week is drawing closer, and we all know what that means: It means hour after hour in the frigid recycled air of Richter library, late nights of typing review guides and final papers and enough caffeine in your veins to have your blood legally qualify as a type of coffee.

The last few days of studying each semester are never fun, but they are arguably the most important. After months and months of having to put time and effort into each class, it’s worth it to end strongly and give your GPA that little boost. There are tips and tricks that you pick up over the years at the U, and learning them early can save you a great deal of frustration.

Finding a good place to study is key, and luckily our fine school gives us a wide variety of options. The library is a tried-and-true location with study space on the first two levels, the “stacks,” silent areas, computer stations and printers galore. However, it can turn into a zoo during peak studying hours, leaving a scarcity of seats and computers and, more often than not, people sitting close enough for you to smell what they had for breakfast.

But never fret, there are other places! The hammocks by the green are prime but very fought over. Hillel, on the other hand, not only provides space, but regularly puts out tasty snacks. Lastly, anywhere outside is a great place to lay down with a towel and a book for a few hours.

The ability to take a break while avoiding procrastinating is a valuable skill, one that I’m still trying to learn. It’s better to take a short break, allowing yourself to get food and stretch your legs, rather than getting sucked into a Madden tournament or getting bombed at the Rat. And I’m sure everyone can relate with the fact that five minutes on Facebook can turn into an hour in the blink of an eye.

Finals are a stressful time, but they don’t have to leave you pulling out your hair and planning to move to Mexico. Just plan out a schedule in these final few days of the semester, and before you know it, you’ll be putting down the pencil and turning in your final exam, ready to go enjoy a well-deserved winter break!

Evan Peskin may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...