Goodbye Shannon

Randy Shannon didn’t have to go to sleep on Saturday pondering his fate. Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt decided to get rid of the head coach he had orignally picked to stabilize the football program.
It may not have been a shock, but for someone to get fired just months after receiving a four-year extension is a bit surprising. Losing to South Florida at home in front of  27,000 fans, a weak attendance in itself, has the ability to change things.

The orange and green jerseys that had once carried a connotation of dominance now look more like clown suits, highlighting all the faults of this team. For a program that has built itself on intensity, under Shannon they seemed to be neutered of any form of exuberance.

Shannon’s few remaining supporters will still tout how well the team behaved off the field (no major arrests), his player’s graduation rates (highest among Football Bowl Subdivision schools) and the three bowl games to which he led the team.

However, could the high Academic Progress Report ranking be attributed to the players’ easy majors such as sports administration? Also, he may have kept the boys out of trouble, but that does not bring in money for the university- football, wins, TV revenue and merchandise do. Additionally, Shannon never won a bowl game and lost to inferior opponents such as USF and Virginia.

With repeated mistakes such as early timeouts, numerous penalties and excuses after losses, it is clear that our players did not learn from their mistakes. Not only was Shannon emotionless, but his players lacked passion. Part of this blame is the players’ for not being able to self-motivate, but it was Shannon’s job as head coach to capitalize the talent at his disposal.

If anything positive can come from Shannon getting fired, we hope that the players finally realize that their recent performance has been unacceptable. Coming out flat against conference opponents and being absolutely embarrassed by their rivals is no way to maintain the legacy they supposedly cherish so much. The standard of excellence has been set for the UM football program and the last four years were a far cry from what the U is supposed to embody.

Not only was Shannon one of a limited number of African-American head coaches in the NCAA, but he is also someone who will always be a true, bona fide Hurricane. Shannon’s legacy at Miami, while undoubtedly changed, is still that of someone who represented this school and this city to the core. His successes in his years as a player and as a defensive coordinator are, and forever will be, remembered fondly. But none of his history can save him from what was unquestionably a lackluster performance as a head coach.

Kyli Singh

Managing Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...