Silent partying to occur at Richter

Students enjoy last year's silent dance party flash mob at midnight before finals. (photo courtsey of harrisonhoffman.com)

Though the Richter library sees plenty of students come through its doors, most are there to work- or at least pretend to work while browsing Facebook.

But at midnight next Wednesday, students will put down their books and boogie for a few hours at the second annual Silent Dance Party.

Junior Michael Salazar is the head of the event, which premiered last semester during finals week. Salazar stressed that the party will be much different this time.

“Last year it was scheduled for five minutes,” he said. This year, the party has been extended to 15 minutes.

The dance party will take place on the first and second floors of the library starting at midnight. Greeks Advocating the Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA) will be providing coffee and food for the party, which already has about 1,500 potential attendees on its Facebook event page before Thanksgiving break.

According to the page, students who want to participate should bring their own iPods, MP3 players and headphones. Students are also encouraged to wear Santa hats and arrive early to ensure that they have a prime spot at the event.

Sophomore Michelle Penkrot remembers how much fun the first party was and plans on being there for the second one.

“Everyone came to the library and at about midnight people started dancing,” she said. “The whole first floor was packed with people.”

Another difference in this year’s event is the addition of a VIP section. Salazar invited UM groups GAMMA and UR Awesome, as well as assorted friends and Silent Dance Party event coordinators, to join him at a special VIP room.

Sophomore Katie Morrison is planning on attending the party because of the publicity from last year’s event.

“I saw a whole bunch of Facebook videos from people who went, and it looked fun,” she said.

Kylie Banks may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...