Silent partying to occur at Richter

Students enjoy last year's silent dance party flash mob at midnight before finals. (photo courtsey of harrisonhoffman.com)

Though the Richter library sees plenty of students come through its doors, most are there to work- or at least pretend to work while browsing Facebook.

But at midnight next Wednesday, students will put down their books and boogie for a few hours at the second annual Silent Dance Party.

Junior Michael Salazar is the head of the event, which premiered last semester during finals week. Salazar stressed that the party will be much different this time.

“Last year it was scheduled for five minutes,” he said. This year, the party has been extended to 15 minutes.

The dance party will take place on the first and second floors of the library starting at midnight. Greeks Advocating the Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA) will be providing coffee and food for the party, which already has about 1,500 potential attendees on its Facebook event page before Thanksgiving break.

According to the page, students who want to participate should bring their own iPods, MP3 players and headphones. Students are also encouraged to wear Santa hats and arrive early to ensure that they have a prime spot at the event.

Sophomore Michelle Penkrot remembers how much fun the first party was and plans on being there for the second one.

“Everyone came to the library and at about midnight people started dancing,” she said. “The whole first floor was packed with people.”

Another difference in this year’s event is the addition of a VIP section. Salazar invited UM groups GAMMA and UR Awesome, as well as assorted friends and Silent Dance Party event coordinators, to join him at a special VIP room.

Sophomore Katie Morrison is planning on attending the party because of the publicity from last year’s event.

“I saw a whole bunch of Facebook videos from people who went, and it looked fun,” she said.

Kylie Banks may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...