NYE in the MIA

Whether you’re looking for a romantic meal on South Beach or a local dinner in Coral Gables, a chill night at the bar or a wild night out on the town, Miami has it all for New Year’s Eve.
Some students are traveling back to the MIA specifically to have a part in this year’s tropical celebration.

“I’m from Sarasota, but I’m coming back to Miami for New Year’s Eve,” senior Reba Evans said. “It’s the place to be for a crazy good time!”

Though Miami is the place to be on New Year’s Eve, for the average college kid it can get a little expensive. Let’s say you’re looking to party, but can’t afford the $5,000 VIP tables at most clubs. For a sand-stomping good time, join the party at Nikki Beach. For only $75, general admission guests can enjoy a champagne toast at midnight, a private fireworks display and tons of party favors.

“We’re the only club actually on the beach, we do a New York style ball drop at midnight and we have our own fireworks display,” said Jackie Skelton of Nikki Beach’s marketing department.

Have a hot date and are looking for somewhere candlelit and cozy to take them for a bite before the evening fireworks? Try heading to La Cofradia Ceviche Bar nearby in Coral Gables. For Peruvian dishes that incorporate flavors from Asian, Latin and Italian cuisines, La Cofradia is one of the Gables’ best kept secrets.

“What makes us different is the food, the service, and the experience,” said Roberto Granthon, the restaurant’s manager. Unlike many other restaurants in Miami, La Cofradia is quiet and cozy, allowing more time to talk about New Year’s resolutions with your sweetheart.

If you’re looking for a restaurant to celebrate with A-list celebrities, don’t miss the fine dining at Barton G The Restaurant. To party with frequent restaurant tweeters LeBron James and Bryant McKinnie, reserve a table for the 9 p.m. seating inside, which offers dance grooves from a DJ, or outside in the orchid garden patio.

“We don’t raise our prices for New Year’s Eve- that’s what makes us different,” said Shelley Acoca, marketing director for the Barton G company. “Our menu that night is the same, filled with great entrees, nitrogen cocktails and over-the-top desserts.”

If dining and dancing aren’t your priorities, head to Bayfront Park for their annual celebration. The best part is that everything is free! With disco dancing, DJ Tarik spinning beats, a countdown with Miami’s Big Orange and a beautiful fireworks display, you can’t go wrong.

Who said that New Year’s Eve required a winter coat and gloves? Put on your dancing shoes, dress to impress and head to these venues in Miami for a New Year’s Eve you will never forget.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...