NYE in the MIA

Whether you’re looking for a romantic meal on South Beach or a local dinner in Coral Gables, a chill night at the bar or a wild night out on the town, Miami has it all for New Year’s Eve.
Some students are traveling back to the MIA specifically to have a part in this year’s tropical celebration.

“I’m from Sarasota, but I’m coming back to Miami for New Year’s Eve,” senior Reba Evans said. “It’s the place to be for a crazy good time!”

Though Miami is the place to be on New Year’s Eve, for the average college kid it can get a little expensive. Let’s say you’re looking to party, but can’t afford the $5,000 VIP tables at most clubs. For a sand-stomping good time, join the party at Nikki Beach. For only $75, general admission guests can enjoy a champagne toast at midnight, a private fireworks display and tons of party favors.

“We’re the only club actually on the beach, we do a New York style ball drop at midnight and we have our own fireworks display,” said Jackie Skelton of Nikki Beach’s marketing department.

Have a hot date and are looking for somewhere candlelit and cozy to take them for a bite before the evening fireworks? Try heading to La Cofradia Ceviche Bar nearby in Coral Gables. For Peruvian dishes that incorporate flavors from Asian, Latin and Italian cuisines, La Cofradia is one of the Gables’ best kept secrets.

“What makes us different is the food, the service, and the experience,” said Roberto Granthon, the restaurant’s manager. Unlike many other restaurants in Miami, La Cofradia is quiet and cozy, allowing more time to talk about New Year’s resolutions with your sweetheart.

If you’re looking for a restaurant to celebrate with A-list celebrities, don’t miss the fine dining at Barton G The Restaurant. To party with frequent restaurant tweeters LeBron James and Bryant McKinnie, reserve a table for the 9 p.m. seating inside, which offers dance grooves from a DJ, or outside in the orchid garden patio.

“We don’t raise our prices for New Year’s Eve- that’s what makes us different,” said Shelley Acoca, marketing director for the Barton G company. “Our menu that night is the same, filled with great entrees, nitrogen cocktails and over-the-top desserts.”

If dining and dancing aren’t your priorities, head to Bayfront Park for their annual celebration. The best part is that everything is free! With disco dancing, DJ Tarik spinning beats, a countdown with Miami’s Big Orange and a beautiful fireworks display, you can’t go wrong.

Who said that New Year’s Eve required a winter coat and gloves? Put on your dancing shoes, dress to impress and head to these venues in Miami for a New Year’s Eve you will never forget.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.